THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I adjust a Tang mounted peep sight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have this old falling block in .22LR with a tang mounted peep sight. I need to know how to adjust the sight. The sight looks like it was "stock" from the factory. The markings on the rifle are:
On the left side of the action:
TRADEMARK
STEVENS
REG US PAT OFF & FGN

On the left side of the barrel:
22-LONG RIFLE
It also has the number "4" inside a circle stamped into the barrel just in front of the action.

On the right side of the barrel it has
J STEVENS ARMS COMPANY
Chickopee Falls. Mass. U.S.A.

This rifle has a 26" round barrel with a hooded front peep. It has the wide forend. Any information you have with respect to this firearm will be appre-ciated especially regarding how to do adjustments to the tang mounted sight. I would like to have posted a picture but alas I do not have that level of expertise.(Ludite dontcha know?)

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Is it one of these styles:

Which way do you want the bullet to go? Usually you just change the elevation with the rear sight, and any windage gets adjusted by the front sight.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark. My sight appears to be identical to the one in the first picture. Is vertical adjustment accomplished using the knurled "post" located above the sight "hinge"? Is windage adjusted by drifting the front sight in one direction or the other? Thanks for your time.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You've got it. You can also put a shim under 1 side of the base to adjust it if it's slightly bent also.

Don't ask me how I know this..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Original Lyman instructions specified shimming under one side or the other for gross windage adjustment. They specified paper but I use brass.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aluminum cans make very nice shims for that job. Voice of experience here.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied, and have given me at least an idea of what I am doing.