Find
Notify
Tools

Bluing Tanks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

Was wandering if someone could give me advice on building some bluing tanks.. I will be aquiring my stepdads gunsmithing tools (lathe,buffers,milling machine,reamers,and whatever else he has) but he doesnt have his bluing tanks anylonger.. What would be the best to make the tanks out of? How many will I need 3-4? Whats the best thing to use to heat them with? What kind of metal should I use to build them? I seen midway has a complete set for 1000$ but I know I can build them for a whole lot cheaper.. This is a strech but anyone have any plans or pictures I can use for ideas.. Thanks for the help..

Brock

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
When I made mine 30 years ago I used mild steel. I used pipe burners and ran then on Natural gas. Propane would work as well. If memory serves you could use stainless but you can't used galvanized. I would keep it as simple as possible. The caustic will get on everything.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The caustic will get on everything.

You don't want a caustic buleing set up in your home workshop. It will rust everything in sight, not to mention the physical hazard or molten lye. I find it best to polish myself and send out. Or, you can get into rust blueing, which is better anyway.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.. I was warned about the caustic getting on everything and have a plan for it.. I have a old wooden shed that is used for nothing and the only thing that would be in there is the tanks.. I figured that would be the best place to setup a bluing shop? It has huge doors on it that I can open so there will be plenty of ventilation as well.. I need to use that shed for something right lol??

Brock