New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna Rifle Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been wondering about Husqvarna rifles after seeing one. Are they basically a good commercial mauser action and are they as good as say, an FN ? Is the rest of the gun any good? Which models are decent for use as a scoped hunting rifle in the 30-06 class?Thanks!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi wiktor!

HVA made som really fine guns and they are a good base for a custom job or to be used as they are. There was several differnt models made and my personal favorite is the 640 line of M-98:s. There was a few different models of actions used and tha one I like best is made by FN and is a civil version of the M-98. The floorplates on the HVA:s is military style on the M-98 and M-96 models. The triggers are military style as well. Personally I stay clear of the M-96 models, I find the M-98 superior in most ways and the prices here in Sweden for a used HVA M-98 is so low that I can�t se any point fiddling with the weaker M-96 actions.

HVA also made a own version of the M-98 caller the 1600 series. It�s a small ring Mauser style action with side safety and hinged bottom metal. Some had alloy bottom metal and some earlyer models had steel bottom metal.

There is a Swedish web page in Eng. about these guns and I think you will find about every possible info you need there.

http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/

Stefan

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one of the HV actions built for the civilian market, as described by the previous respondant; small ring with alloy bottom metal. I had a 22-250 made up on it in the '60's, just before Rem standardized the cartridge. It's still going strong except the Douglas barrel isn't what it used to be.

The action has very good workmanship; at least as good as the old Sako actions that I have. I got the pull weight down to where I like it and have had no problems, except that it has no adjustment for overtravel.

Tha mag box has an insert for 308-length cartridges, but the 22-350 feeds fine.

I kind of like it. Incidentally, my dad bought a HV rifle in 30-06 in about 1950 and used it for years as a deer/elk rifle. I was really upset when he traded it in on a new Rem semi-auto in the same caliber. I think they gave him 50.00 for it!

jmbn

jmbn

Posts: 9 | Location: sacramento | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Husq. large ring barrelled action from one of the other board members and it looks to be well made. It's da a Shilen 7x64 stainless barrel and is off to be stocked now.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote