New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Belk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have his web add.? I used to have it in my favorites, but no longer. I think he had info. on the barrel thread specs for different actions. Jeff.

Posts: 45 | Location: Helena, Mt | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have his "Web Ad" but there is this

http://community.webshots.com/user/hotater

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was on the ACGG members list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I couldn't see that he has a website but I do remember those pictures on Webshots. What I am looking for is the barrel thread specs for various actions (rem, win, ruger, 98, cz, ect.). I have an old columbian '06 that I would like to put a cheap barrel on in something like 6.5-06 or 25-06 and if I find a take-off somewhere I would like to know if it will fit. Jeff.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I believe the Columbian has the same shank as the Argentine .985"Dia .715" long 12T.P.I.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the specs for a large ring Mauser (Columbian, K98, 1909 Argentine, etc.) are 1.1" diameter, 12 tpi, shank about 0.625 inches long, but varying considerably by action. Measure before you install.

Clemsom

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Dimensions I gave were for the Model 91 Columbian. Sorry I didn't think about the 1909 Argentine being Called a Columbian as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
His .30-06 would have been a model 98. The Colombians used a large-ring action with a small half-moon cutout on the front ring to allow clip loading the .30-06 cartridges.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nice to continue to learn something new every day.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clemson, exactly right.When I first saw the rifle, it took me a couple of minutes to guess what the cut was for. At the time, I didn't know what the caliber was. After someone here mentioned that they had been reworked to '06, it made sense due to the cartridge length. I am assuming they were originally 7 or 8x57 and have been rebarreled? This one has not been drilled and tapped, and I don't much care for the crude irons, but it seems to shoot OK. I bought it for $40 at a second-hand store last year, so it is my "sit around til I find some cheap stuff" rifle. I thought about rechambering to 300, but all of the mod's were less interesting than just screwing on another barrel, and I'm kind of partial to smaller bores anyway. Thanks for the info. guys. Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no knowledge of the re-working of Mausers so I am no help there.

But I did open the web shots for Jack Belk. And I would highly recommend anyone doing so. Watching the 6mm Remington evolve from a rough action and lump of walnut to beautiful working rifle is amazing. Those of us that are not gunsmiths, tend to forget the amount of knowledge and man hours to create a thing of beauty.

Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote