New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Win 70, tang question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the Win 70 tang glued to the stock. Mine has a small amount of some rubbery substance that extends beyond the tang. I want to remove the action from the stock and check out the trigger adjustments and am wondering if this is an issue.

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
does removing and reinstalling the action to the stock require any special treatment to this region, such as reaplying or special care to insure its integrity is maintained. It almost looks like a sealant.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
bajabill

It is pretty much hot glue. Over the next couple of years through normal cleaning it will start falling out bit by bit. That is, from removing the barreled action from the stock. My suggestion would be to go ahead and have it bedded properly now. Your rifle will thank you for it.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took it apart last night, lightened the trigger - easy job.

THe action adheared to the stock a little, had to give it a light knock to break it free. Yes, it is the "bedding" that is at the aft and of the tang and the recoil lug. Good idea I guess, but why use a material that is somewhat springy. If they are going to bed the recoil lug, use something that doesnt compress much. I think Im going to ride with this for a while, I really need to bed the recoil lug of my savage first.