Find
Notify
Tools

barrel bedding question
 Login/Join

<Aaron Rust>
posted
Hi guys!

I have a near new 1954 husqvarna in .270. The only problem with the gun is the stock is pulling away from the barrel. Not a lot but enough that I don't like it. One can easily push it up to the barrel without undue presure. NO it has not be free floated. The barrel channel is not sealed and the grain is very slightly running away from the stock... which is why it has moved a bit. My question is how stiff is accuglass? I thought of cutting two or four small groves about 1/8" wide and deep running the length of the barrel channel then fill it with accuglass. I would use a strip of innertube to hold the stock in the proper position against the barrel until it dries. This would also seal it up. I do not want to free float it. The thought is the accuglass would hold the wood up to the barrel. Is glass very stiff when dried? Thanks
Aaron

[ 11-24-2003, 21:38: Message edited by: Aaron Rust ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass isn't stiff enough to keep the stock from moving or flexing by itself.
First thing you need to do is seal the stock thoroughly and let it dry for awhile. You may need to re-inlet the barrel channel and action a bit to make it all fit like it was when new.
Then you can do a couple different things. Either you can bed the barrel full length and hope it won't move after being re-inletted, or you can cut a couple narrow channels in the bottom of the barrel channel and add a long steel rod in each of about 3/16" diameter, then epoxy over them. Anything smaller just won't stiffen sufficiently and even at this size, if the stock moves again the rods probably won't completely stop it.

If it isn't affecting accuracy, you might just try to live with it as the only real sure answer is a new stock.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also use the square or round tubing that's sold in model/hobby shops, might be a little stiffer than the plain rod.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote