Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass stock Satterlee Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted
I have a barrelled action on order from stuart. I am thinking of using a fiberglass stock for a host. I would use the stock as a pattern so the blank could be cut on a pantograph machine. Has anybody done this? Is this the right way to do this.
I know it seems silly to try and save money on stocking this expensive action. But I do have a budget. BTW the action is a safari magnum.
Thanks,
Gary

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Have Satterlee put you in touch with James Anderson ("gunmaker" on AR). James is probably going to be your most cost-effective solution for getting a really high quality stock on a Satterlee action.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the plug Forrest.
Gary
I've never tried using a fiberglass stock as a pattern. I'm not sure it would flex the same as walnut, or other hardwood when you put it between centers. If the pattern flexes too much it could over inlet or under cut a nice piece of walnut. Are you going to stock it yourself?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1845 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Hello James,

Thanks for replying. To answer your question,no, I need to find a stockmaker. I realise that the Safari magnum action is oversize. After limited research the host and pantograph option seems to be a reasonable option if it does indeed exist. Of course now I need to find a wooden host. Any ideas?

Gary

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member