Find
Notify
Tools

98 stock info needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted
My spare deer rifle is a 98 308 Norma mag, i have had a synthetic stock on it for 15 years and was thinking about replacing the stock with a later style or type....any one got any links or suggestions as to what is a GREAT 98 synthetic stock on the market these days?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Since it needs to be "GREAT" I would go with a McMillan. Here is a SAKO hunter pattern cut for a M98. Very nice stock.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
that looks like exactly what i need mate thanks for the pic..i love the straight stock design,i want one in camo for my deer hunting...what cal is that rifle in your photo?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
.30-06
It was camo at one time. I think the paint job was an improvement animal

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
.30-06
It was camo at one time. I think the paint job was an improvement animal

And i agree ...thats a shit camo job....dont want one like that,my 7mm mag carries a fern pattern camo from bell and carlson (great stock) which i would be happy to have on any stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agbout the nicest composite stock out there is the one that was made by Pacific Research out of Vashon Island Wa. The sold the stock business to Jim Borden, now called his Rimrock model. I have used stocks from both outfits and they are, IMHO, the best one out there. They take a bit of fitting for the 98 Mauser but you will not be disappointed. If I understand correctly, they were designed by Jim Cloward. I have one on my 98 actioned 284 Win and my 30-06, and one on my pre 64 model 70, 338 win mag.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about contacting Corporal Trading to see what they make? Would probably end up cheaper than a McMillan.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Corporal Trading
Tar Con,i did see one of their early stocks and it dissa pointed me with its roughness,have they improved at all?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gryphon,
No idea as I've never seen one in real life. I've toyed with getting them to make me a stock but they're still not a very cheap proposition. Chase down PC on this forum, his 585 Nyati wears one in a Weatherby style. Does Bell& Carlson make anything you like? Also... what are you trying to achieve with the stock? Does it need to be aesthetically pleasing? Lightweight? Cheap to buy? Maybe the Core-Lite (under $150) in black with a home paint job would do?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:
Corporal Trading
Tar Con,i did see one of their early stocks and it dissa pointed me with its roughness,have they improved at all?

Gryphon I have 2 corp trading stocks one on a .416 Rigby and the other on a .585 Nyati both stocks are very good and of good quality, I got them in the weatherby configuartion as for me it seems to handle recoil well, others hate them though granted.

here is a pick of the stock on my .585 Nyati....it is a bigger profile stock due to the caliber and requirement of a bit of extra surface area in the back end.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote