New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag to 300 Ultra Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will the dimensions of a 300 Win Mag allow it to be rechambered to a 300 Ultra Mag?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless the barrel is real thin up near the action (and it shouldn't be) you should be able to have it reamed out to 300 RUM.

You can expect a bunch of folks to follow this with "Why would you want to bother with having it reamed out to 300 RUM when the 300 Win Mag will still do the job... yadda yadda yadda" Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
even a factory sporter tube should handle a rechamber to RUM as long as it has never been set-back or cut off at the chamber end. You may need a new magazine follower and some work to open the feed rails as well. The magazine box is also different in the rem700's (I think)

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may need a new magazine follower and some work to open the feed rails as well. The magazine box is also different in the rem700's (I think)

I have a 300ultramag built on a standard 700 magnum action and you are correct about the feed rails and magazine box.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the rum go for it, as others have said if the barrel profile is not to thin you will be fine, you pick the .300 RUM over the .300 win mag for the same reasons you pick the win mag over the 30/06.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the bolt face dimensions are different also. I have at times considered this project for my .300 Win Remington Sendero but I always come back to reality and decide the gains don't outweigh the negatives....for me.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I can't help but think that the easiest, cheapest, and best fix is to trade your 300 Win. Mag. in on a factory rifle in 300 RUM......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
AD, you would normally be right, but this rifle is an oddball takedown from Sauer that I wound up with, got several in 300 win, and don't have a rum yet, just wondering......

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the bolt face dimensions are different also.

Not true.The bolt face dimensions are the same.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the 404 jeffery case that the RUM was designed from required a larger bolt face. Dang, I guess I should of read up on it more. Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 404 jeffery case does require a larger bolt face due to the larger diameter rim, but remington uses a rebated rim on the ultramag cases in order to keep the bolt face the same as the standard magnums..

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
"Why would you want to bother with having it reamed out to 300 RUM when the 300 Win Mag will still do the job... yadda yadda yadda"

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBabcock:
"Why would you want to bother with having it reamed out to 300 RUM when the 300 Win Mag will still do the job... yadda yadda yadda"

Cool

jump

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
AD, you would normally be right, but this rifle is an oddball takedown from Sauer that I wound up with, got several in 300 win, and don't have a rum yet, just wondering......

On a RemChester the conversion is relatively straight forward and not too awfully expensive, thought AD is probably right about just trading for an already RUM. On a Sauer however I wouldn't want to touch the conversion. Parts are too expensive, the magazine box probably won't fit etc.
IMO a RUM is worth doing, but only in the right platform...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, thanks-- I am only interested if the mag box situation will work ok. The action is the same for both calibers, so I was hoping it would be pretty straightforward.

Just wanted a new caliber, I'm sure 300 win is fine, just scheming.... as one of my partners once said;

'once you've got a shower curtain in your trailer, your past the "need" stage'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh cut it out you two!!! lol

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
[Fisher30114, shame don't you dare touch the feed rails. shame
I have coverterd several Rem. Mags to RUMs. The only modification you need to make is to open the feed ramp as wide as the front openning of the feed rails...... You will need a RUM mag box. I used the original ADL follwer in the ADL mag box but the window cutouts allow for the 3rd round to fit into the mag box. shameCAUTION; don't change the feed ramp any other way except to widen it so the RUM shoulder will pass without kicking it out. All my RUMs work flawlessly with the simple mods I described. I used take off Rem. Stls. barrels and they all shoot under an inch, perfect for a hunting rig. Good luck, I think you'll love it after you try it. beer

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
olcrip, thanks for the info. I had checked Sauer website, and the action and everything else except the mag box and barrel were the same as the 300 win mag. I'm hoping this won't be that big a deal, I have left a message with customer service to see what would be entailed if I just ordered a factory RUM barrel, they felt it would be just a new mag box, but the lead time on the barrel is 6 to 10 months! I was hoping I could just get my current barrel rechambered and get a new mag.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
You can rent a reamer and rechamber your 300 win mag on the cheap. You can also buy a Rem. take off from a new gun in Stainless RUM pretty reasonable. beer

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote