Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stocks...how good are they?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

the guys at my local gunsmith were telling me the other day that one should stay away from synthetic stocks as they can or will bend with heat.

According to them synthetic stocks are more suited to cold and wet conditions and not hot African conditions. Laminated stocks are thus better?

How likely is a synthetic stock to warp under heat? My thinking is that this may be plausible but would take some extreme heat to happen.

Cheers

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Same as with wood stocks, some are lousy and others are excellent. Buy quality and you should be OK. Oh BTW, don't go out shopping with the preconceived idea that a quality synthetic stock (McMillan, HS Precision, etc.) is cheaper than a wood one...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO McMillian and Lammers are good to go for any conceivable weather condition a hunter can expect to "weather."

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
By synthetic is your smith referring to injection molded (Tupperware) stocks? Huge difference between them and McMillan, etc. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having done a bit of research into the subject I believe that he was referring to injection moulded stocks.

Thanks for the info!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been involved within the FRP industry for more years than I care to remember as a chemist .

The one thing I can say without hesitation ; Problems occurred from mainly two areas ,

Material selection or design fault .

I borrowed this from Wiki ; Note the date and number of materials for selection now fast forward to 2009.

Care to venture a guess at the current number of materials available for injection molding !.

Most polymers may be used, including all thermoplastics, some thermosets, and some elastomers.[7] In 1995 there were approximately 18,000 different materials available for injection molding and that number was increasing at an average rate of 750 per year. The available materials are alloys or blends of previously developed materials meaning that product designers can choose from a vast selection of materials, one that has exactly the right properties. Materials are chosen based on the strength and function required for the final part but also each material has different parameters for molding that must be taken into account.[8] Common polymers like Epoxy and phenolic are examples of thermosetting plastics while nylon, polyethylene, and polystyrene are thermoplastic.[9]

There is absolute truth in what Andre Mertens says !.

Synthetic Stock manufactures initially were some what forced to have " Lighter Stiffer " stocks than

conventional wood stocks ,other wise what was the point !. Reputable synthetic stock manufactures soon

realized that lighter isn't what it was all about . Strength stiffness and weather-ability were the key

which now is common place for quality stocks . Want a High quality synthetic stock look no further than

Savage's Accustock . Design outside the box ,performance of custom engineering at factory prices !.

http://www.savagearms.com/2009_pressrelease.htm

Some folks think their ugly ,opinions vary . One thing is certain accuracy is second to none for a factory

rifle . Personally I'll take an Ugly accurate rifle any day, over a pretty pathetic shooting rifle !. archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
+1 for Doc and Andre
You get what you pay for.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote