Find
Notify
Tools

Goatskin For Covering Recoil Pad?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I was re-reading the leather covered pad thread and wondered if anyone had used the goatskin?

Also, is the leather glued all over the pad or just to the bottom of the baseplate?

Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I glued mine all over. (front, sides and rear)

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
STREACHING fluid....

calf or goat....

VERY LITTLE glue

jeffe

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Is there a brand name to the streching fluid? Where can I get some?

Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I use Pig skin and only water to stretch them. The last one took me about 3 minutes to work out all the wrinkles over a pad with a widows peak. Goat skin is a bit thin. I also use barge cement and I glue the top and sides and then the bottom gets glued after it is dried. I have heard it is best not to glue the sides as it allows the sides to flex and stop them from deteriorating. I have always done it the other way and never had any problems with ths sides.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use split pig skin and alocohol or water..I glue the whole thing but I use Silvers and London guns pads, and they don't give enough to make much difference....Goat is nice but it just doesn't wear well and tends to tear, I wear it out plenty fast...but I use the heck out of my guns..More so than most I suspect.

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, do you have any pictures of yours handy you can post. I would imagine some of these folks would like seeing them. I do like the silvers pads. I have not seen a london guns pad I would use, they are way too flexible for me.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Chic or Ray,

I looked at Tandy Leathers site and they have more types of split pig than you could shake a stick at. Is there any particular color? Also they list them by weight. I take it you would use pretty thin skin for covering a pad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a tip from Dennis Potter,one of the guys in the Guild for a leather source; Oregon leather in, obviously, Oregon (503)228-4105. I bought a whole, tanned pigskin for $35 shipped. The first one I tried turned out great, thanks to Kent Bowerly and Dennis whose combined advice helped immensly.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, years ago when I first wanted to try a leather covered pad, I got a lot of help from Keith. He asked for my address and got me a copy of an article by Duane Weibbe about lather covered pads and sent me a fairly large piece of leather.

Roger, I stain mine myself with dyes and use a natural color. With certain woods it looks pretty good unstained.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger try this one. Buy some dye.