Find
Notify
Tools

FMAP verses DWM 1909 Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
What are the differences between the FMAP and DWM 1909 Argentine actions; mechanically, metallurgically, and/or in terms of quality?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I inspected 4 of these actions recently and they were extremely smooth and well made. Don’t know about the metallurgy but they appeared to have fired a lot of rounds with no setback whatsoever, only thing was the firing pin holes had worn quite a lot to one side. Couldn’t figure out why. I was thinking of re- bushing them but decided to let them go. Still, they were butter smooth and tight and definitely comparable to the German 09’s although the markings are not as sexy.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I always thought they were equal to the DWM ones; good for standard cartridges as is, but not for magnums. Firing pin hole erosion is due to bad ammo leaking primers. Yes, the markings are not as cool.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've built two rifles using them, a 7x57 and a 257 Roberts. Other than the markings, no difference.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally, my favorite 7x57 is built on an FMAP receiver.

I've probably built an even number of rifles on the DWM and FMAP actions. On the whole, I've seen more DWM's with setback than FMAPs. I think the DWM's are better finished.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you, guys.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall a comment by Tom Burgess that the metallurgy of the FMAP’s was a little different than pre-war German receivers, and they took a little longer in to recarburize. Don’t see this as a bad thing.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote