New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serengeti Rifles Red Mist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Red Mist prototype stock is finished enough for a photo session. This is a Montanan line rifle "targeted" at the varmint segment. Red Mist will accept MRC, Remington, and M70 short actions.

The geometry borrows a little from the Serengeti Hunter but with a full-width beavertail forend. The roll-over is optional as is the cheekpiece. The MonteCarlo is needed for large objective scopes. Ambidextrous palmswell ala Sako TRG. Left hand MRC shorties planned here.

This barrel is 6mm, 26in 1:9 twist. Still unchambered as a huge debate is raging over what to make it. 6mm-284 seems to be gaining delegates.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooh yes, like that one! I know that will get me in trouble with the "classic crowd", but I like that roll-over comb and the palmswell! I'll have mine with a slightly slimmer foreend, please!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish some stock maker would simply coppy the Cooper Varmint stock for the Rem Model 7 and SA 700. Just about the best wood varmint stock shape out there.......

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree with you 100% the Cooper varmint stock is hard to beat.

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod, the Red Mist is very nice. Any word on the Rhino yet?

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Rod, that's what I'm looking for. Now tell me that you can turn it upside and backward and make it fit a left handed MRC shorty!

Posts: 12690 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All we need is the MRC LH shorty.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a production Rhino (CZ550 416 Rigby) in final shaping. And another Rhino stock in Purpleheart (also CZ550) that was not big enough for the customer's project. The third Rhino project is underway. It's a bit special, and when we're further along, I'll post some details. Want to make sure we can hit the goal before we make it public.

We coined up a new program for the ultra big stuff....

Called Elephas. Wonder why....

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Allen,
in all fairness, the monte carlo is okay, but the rollover is butt ugly

jeffe

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take Allen a step further and say that I absolutely hate and may even loath them.

Unrelated to the dislike for the monte carlo style stock and addressing the rollover issue, in my youth I shouldered a right hand rollover obomination and being left handed I about broke my jaw. It was someone elses baby and they were letting me look at it. It was all that I could do to keep from launching that rifle through the living room window, and not let on about my agony. It reminded me of getting kicked in the face by livestock (did I also mention I loath hooves, cloven or otherwise), unpleasent at best.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm more a classic fan. Nice shollow cheek piece. I had a rollover in the 70s. I feel they are dated. That is just my 2 cents.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Lose the rollovers and monte carlo stuff. They went out with polyester lime green leisure suits. Even the CZ hogback thing looks better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't much care for the looks either but the roll-over monte carlo stock is, for me, very practical (and comfortable) when you are putting in a lot of trigger-time on p-dogs. A 3-day trip where you shoot a year's worth of loaded ammo, even in light-recoiling rifles, can be a lot easier on the face and neck with a stock like this. I'm even a big enough wuss to put a little talcum powder on the cheekpiece once in awhile.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep Dr. Bill. I'm going to be putting a lot of rounds each day through the gun it's going on (22.250AI). Between that gun, the 243 and a 223 I may shoot 500 rounds per day of CF and for that I want the big cheekpiece.

Posts: 12690 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love it man! I just finished a black walnut stock that has the same shape. I hope you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine.

BushmasAR