Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: cosmoline
 Login/Join

posted
I read all of of the replies, and was surprised that nobody mentioned mechanics solvent, also known as cleaning solvent or as stoddard solvent. You can get it in 5 gallon cans at most real auto parts stores, maybe not at some of the chain stores ! You really have to work to set fire to it and it works almost as well as gasoline. I used it for many years on auto parts in my shop! Ed

Posts: 14 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I just did an SKS last month and found a can of gunscrubber to do the trick very well.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Us ol' soldiers always used GASOLINE to remove cosmoline, and this job was always done outside when there was at least a nice breeze blowing! Of course, since these were military weapons, we weren't particularly concerned that the gas would damage the appearance of the wood, since a couple of coats of linseed oil always went onto the wood after the cosmoline was off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Over 50 years ago I spent many an enjoyable hour putting that cosmoline on and now guys are asking how to get it off! (I didn't do the Mausers though. That must have been Fritz).

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used GUNK, the automotive parts cleaning solvent. Soak for awhile and it melts away.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope. The gasoline we used 50 years ago was plain old gasoline. Straight from the motor pool. We did it outside and the smoking lamp was definitly out. We used a 5 gallon mop bucket and put about a gallon or so in it. Then we stuck one end of the rifle in the bucket and started dipping and brushing from the top with a 2" paint brush. It was hard on your hands but, hell, we were bullet proof back then.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kerosene works great!

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote