New
Find
Notify
Tools

KG GunKote
 Login/Join

<Celt>
posted
Has anybody had expieriance with this product.
How does it hold up? What is it thinned with? What temp do you cure it at?

Thanks
Celt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a rifle coated by Mac's Shootin Irons Restorations in Tucson three years ago, so I can't help with technique, however, done right(Mac does a lot of law enforcement work) it's a good coating. I use scabbards on horse back and seen no wear. It does scratch. Mac guarantees it to be rust proof.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
I've applied it to perhaps half-dozen guns over the years. I have also had Mac's apply it for me.
Their service is first rate and their pricing excellent.

It is important that the metal is properly etched [blasted] with the correct media prior to applying the KG. I think they recommend about 120 grit silica media. Glass beading does not give adequate mechanical etch on the steel for optimal adhesion. Also, for the most weatherproof surface, consider parkerizing after you sand blast, then apply the KG over the parkerizing. Mac's can do all this for you if you don't have the equipment or know how.

KG cures at about 300 degrees. You do not thin it [at least not to my knowledge]. You apply it directly from the can. A PreVal cartridge sprayer works great, gives good atomization of the coating and a nice even coat. You do not need expensive spray equipment. You do need a proper oven. I have done barreled actions in the kitchen oven, but it is not optimal 'cause you cannot get the entire barreled action in there. You must pre-heat the steel to about 160 degrees before applying the coating.

Regards,

Jordan