Find
Notify
Tools

question for the 'smiths
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Could one take a rifle e.g. M70 or CZ and change it to a tang safety? If so, what would need to be done?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything can be done and I suspect there are folks here that can do it. The question is "How much?"

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Canjar used to make an add-on tang safety that could be tigged to the tang but it only blocked the trigger and not the bolt.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006 hit it right...why screw around with a safety that only blocks the trigger, when you have the best safeties ever on the bolt sleeve where the firing pin is blocked

Seems to me some stumbler shot his foot off and sued Remington (sucessfully)...blamed it on the trigger blocked safety...Course, don't know why anybody would point the muzzle at his foot.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
fla3006 hit it right...why screw around with a safety that only blocks the trigger, when you have the best safeties ever on the bolt sleeve where the firing pin is blocked

Seems to me some stumbler shot his foot off and sued Remington (sucessfully)...blamed it on the trigger blocked safety...Course, don't know why anybody would point the muzzle at his foot.

...or sue for their own stupidity

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one Lon Paul did on a cz 550 so it made me curious.

see lonpaulcustomguns.com and look at the 458 Lott in the gallery

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tang safeties can be installed on most rifles but will not generally lock the striker, only the trigger as others have said. It's not difficult to fab & install one, depending upon the action & trigger details, but is fairly expensive to have done correctly. The advantages are much quicker and easier access to the safety and a much sleeker look to the rifle, the disadvantages are a less-positive safety action and more expense. We could get into an argument over which is more desirable or more necessary or better ergonomically, but it all comes down to what the Madam said to the Bishop, "You pays your money and you takes your choice!" I personally have been known to install 2 different safeties on the same rifle, one large bulky wing safety to lock the striker for field-stripping, transportation and unloading and a second tang safety to lock the trigger for stalking.

That's why we call 'em custom rifles.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,
Did you get my PM?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Butch, apparently I didn't get it but I'll keep my eyes peeled. You can email me at treeblood1 aht ayoell daht cahm. Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote