Find
Notify
Tools

Long Pre 64 Win Action 30-06 to 458 Lott
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

What is a Pre 64 Winnie 30-06 action worth?

Is it a big deal for gunsmith to change 30-06 to 458 Lott caliber?

I can't get this 458 Lott project out of my mind, and I think I can do it cheaper than the $3500 for a custom Lott.

Regards

Jim P.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jim,
SERIOUSLY
Get yourself a brand spanking new 458 win safari m70, and send it off to be be bored to 458 lott, and tuned. JB or John Ricks could easily handle this one. You might need to go ahead and order the 416 rem follower and box, but that would be IT.

restock with a great piece of wood

you have 1600 in it total

jeffe

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeffe:

Yeah, you may have a point there. Hey doesn't Winchester make the 458 Lott in their custom shop?

It probably cost street price around $2500 bucks?

I just looked it up....SRP $4000.00.... Geez..

I give up...... at least for now...LOL

Jim P,

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
06 to 458 Lott is no brainer of a conversion...Rebarrel it and do the rail work and I would open the action to 375 Lenth. also make a port cut in the rear...Try Dennis Olson, plains, Mt. 406-826-3790. He won't break your bank and does excellent work.

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the Pre 64 30-06 M70 action can be remachined to 458 Lott. The rear and front bridges has to be opened to specs. Then the feed rails and magazine box mortise has to remachined. This is a carbide end mill show all the way, plus a couple of special cutters or fixtures. Then you need a special magazine box and follower for the Lott, because of the width required in the front in the box. You also have to redrill the rear bridge for the scope base, drilling is no problem tapping the hole is something else. It will be easier to use the new USRA action.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J Wisner, welcome to AR. Is this senior or junior. Your name and reputation proceeds you, no matter which one it is.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim W,
Are you still producing those nice Win. M-70 screw gizzie island rear sights?? I traded you some 505 Gibbs brass for one a few years ago at the Custom Gun Guild and bought all you had on that last sale you had....Now I am out of them.

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another welcome indeed from my humble shop to Jim Wisner.

BTW, I was on the phone last week to Jim's mom. The Senior Wisner is named LeRoy.

So, Jim, tell us how the transition is going? I understand you are burning the candle at both ends and in the middle!!!

We all wait eagerly for the reintroduction of your custom rifle parts. I understand that Western Gun parts is your top priority now.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
First, don't use a 30-06 action, find a pre-64 magnum one in .375. I converted one to a 450 Ackley mag by just opening up the rear ejector port a little and had to do no rail work at all. A little massaging of the feed ramp and it fed faultlessly. The barrels require a cone and extractior cut, but IMHO this was a very easy conversion to perform. I was able to inlet the original stock for a #5 contour barrel and added a front sight ramp, second recoil lug and barrel band. This is a now a very nice handling big bore!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not being a gunsmith I have a quick question for the assembled experts here.
Aren't the 458 and 338 built on the same case? Are they approximately the same length?

I ask because I've had 2 .338's built on Pre64 Model 70's, both started as 30-06's. Just a quick opening of the bolt face and a barrel job and they fed perfectly and shoot terrific. Ejection has also always been without a single hitch. In fact, one of these rifles went to Africa with me because I have so much confidence in it.

I guess I didn't realize the 458 was longer and needed the action opened up for clearance? Can somebody clear this up for me as I am thinking of having one of my remaining Pre 64's built into a 458 Lott for my future Buffalo hunting trip. TIA- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sheister:
Not being a gunsmith I have a quick question for the assembled experts here.
Aren't the 458 and 338 built on the same case? Are they approximately the same length?

I ask because I've had 2 .338's built on Pre64 Model 70's, both started as 30-06's. Just a quick opening of the bolt face and a barrel job and they fed perfectly and shoot terrific. Ejection has also always been without a single hitch. In fact, one of these rifles went to Africa with me because I have so much confidence in it.

I guess I didn't realize the 458 was longer and needed the action opened up for clearance? Can somebody clear this up for me as I am thinking of having one of my remaining Pre 64's built into a 458 Lott for my future Buffalo hunting trip. TIA- Sheister

Sheister,

The .458 WIN MAG is the same length as the .338 Win Mag. They're both 2.5" long cases. The .458 LOTT is 2.80" long. It's important to specify *which* .458 you're talking about [Smile]

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Thanks, I didn't realize there was that much difference in length. I guess I made this assumption that it was like a 458 Ackley. - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
J Wisner,

Hey man good to see you here! You can add a lot.

But really Jim we need you to keep making those exractors for the current Mdl. 70.

Here is wishing you great success with the new venture.

Many Thanks

HBH

<lb404>
posted
Jim, when will you be up and running so I can place another order for BB front sights ????
lb404