New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing a Sako trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've adjusted a dozen of them, but I've never actually replaced a trigger on a Sako. I have one that is nice and crisp on a .22-250 HB, but it doesn't want to safely adjust as light as I desire (one of the few Sako triggers that won't go that light). I've found a brand new Sako trigger to try as a replacement. Are there any installation tricks and should it require any special fitting, or is it a "drop in" job?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stoney,

Other than burnishing the engagement surfaces, and disassembly & cleaning/lightly lubing.....there's not much more you can do for the standard Sako trigger.

Although some say they can set the trigger at about 1 pound......over the years I've found that most any setting less than 2 pounds, runs the risk of not being able to withstand a moderate impact on the rear of the action or hard bolt closure. Bottom line.....safety FIRST.

However.....if one finds a Sako Target trigger........Sweeeeeet. The one on my new 17-222 PD rifle is set at 4 ounces. The PD's hate it.......AND will again.....this Friday & Saturday.

Friend Of The 17
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 410 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know the standard checks better than I do but I have 2 additional ones learnt through experience!

First is to check how much (if at all) the pull is reduced by first pulling the trigger on safe. If you have the spring pressure too light it will be a substantial reduction.

The second is too check function as per normal but after the mechanism has got truly cold (probably not applicable in Texas!)

Finaly if you oh so nearly take a shot ie about 98% of the trigger pull but then don't take it, don't put it on safe but lift the bolt to take the pressure off the sear and allow it to reset. Being a trigger safety there is the faintest chance if you don't do this that the sear will trip through being jarred then when you take it off safe the trigger block is removed and it will fire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Stoney,

Although some say they can set the trigger at about 1 pound......over the years I've found that most any setting less than 2 pounds, runs the risk of not being able to withstand a moderate impact on the rear of the action or hard bolt closure. Bottom line.....safety FIRST.

Friend Of The 17
Kevin Gullette

That pretty much reflects my experience, Kevin. Most Sako triggers are good down to close to two pounds, but if you try to go below that they will not consistently catch when you slam the bolt home. In my case, two or so pounds is all I'm looking for, it's just that this particular trigger doesn't want to go below about 4, so I'm trying a new trigger rather than get into the complexities of the interior of the existing trigger. The gun is a 1/2MOA-minus gun which deserves a trigger commensurate with its accuracy potential.

Adam: You're certainly right that you can get tricked by a trigger that is "partially" pulled, and you should always cycle the bolt handle rather than returning directly to safe.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote