THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Finish concerns on a 11 degree crown - suggestions?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finish concerns on a 11 degree crown - suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted
I'm having a hard time getting a nice finish cutting an 11 degree crown.

I've tried a couple of different barrels, used both my own tools and a Brownell's preground crowning bit.

I've cut all the way down to 125 rpm, and all the way up to 900. My usual speed for crowning is 325-540 at approximately .002"/sec feed rate.

Recommendations?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I use carbide exclusively and I run my lathe at 1250 RPM. I would increase the RPM's a little more and make sure the height of the cutting edge is on center with the bore. A higher RPM produces a better finish and is more forgiving when "hand cranking" the compound. If you will PM me your email address, I will send you some pictures of how I set up.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
RPM made all the difference in the world.

Thanks!

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote