New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post '64 Winchester M94 blueing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a customer in California with a Black Chrome plated M94 receiver. According to the Dulite website the base metal is a cast graphitic steel. This will not blue with standard chemicals including rust blueing. Dulite has a system using a product called Dulite 3-0 to blue these receivers once the chrome plate is removed.

http://www.dulite.com/dulite_94_win_oxide.html

Are there any shops out there set up to do this work? Contact info?

Thanks,

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are made from what drills and machines like iron. Check with Craftguard in Waterloo IA.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's cast graphitic IRON, not steel .There is a graphitic steel which is a tool steel, a very different sort of thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
craftguard at one time said they could re-iron those action, another way is strip and satin chrome but then have realign barrel

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of coatings on guns but in this case I think cerakote would be a good choice. Whether your post '64 receiver is made of sintered metal, graphitic steel/iron or some other bastardized metal, cerakote should work just fine.

It would save you from messing around with re-plating or buying special bluing salts that have to be set up a separate tanks. Has anyone ever tried to melonite/black nitride one of these port '64 receivers?

Posts: 17 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 27 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These guys just did a really nice job bluing a stainless receiver for me:

http://www.intermountaingunsmithing.com/#our-story

No idea whether their process will work on your Winchester but it would be worth asking.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I called Craftguard; they can't blue them. Of course, and of the paint coatings like Cerakote, etc, will work. I have just polished them bright and they don't look bad that way.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll follow up on them.

Bob

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Black chrome.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote