New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Refinishing Help.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm refinishing a Marlin 336C 1976 mfg. two piece stock, and have a problem. (Reason for refinishing is the stock has gained waaaay too much "character" over these many years.)

After stripping the old finish and sanding, the black walnut forearm is much lighter than the black walnut stock, which has a dark redish tinge.

I searched here for refinishing threads and loooked at two with a lot of good advice, but could find nothing on how to stain a two piece stock when one is darker than the other.

I've already put one coat of Birchwood Casey Filler & Seal mixed with five parts mineral spirits which really accentuated the difference in colors of the two pieces. After sealing, I want to then finish using several coats of Man-O-War Marine Spar Varnish diluted with mineral spirits, 1:1.

Does anyone here have any advice on a brand of redish walnut stain I can add to the Man-O-War Marine Spar Varnish solution for finishing the forearm to darken it closer in color to the stock??

Thank you.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't recall the name of it, but Brownells has a red stain that is made to duplicate the color of a factory pre 64 Winchester. It might be close to the right color.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you'll have to play with a bit, but mahoganhy stain is quite red. mixed with walnut (very little walnet) I've usually been able to come pretty close on colors of red

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leanwolff-

There's detailed tutorial by Bob Smalser on this very topic over on MFRC: http://p067.ezboard.com/fmilitaryfirearmrestorationcornerfrm45.showMessage?topicID=71.topic

Smalser also covers other issues, but matching the two different kinds of wood seems like where you're at.

Good luck,

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, shooters! I think I'll now be able to match the colors on my old Marlin .30-30!

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote