Find
Notify
Tools

Blackhawk front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
Hey guys I posted (probably in the wrong place) in pistol shooting about what the factory front sight height is on a Ruger .357 stainless with a 4 5/8s barrel. I acquired one that the front sight needed replaced and the only one I could find in stock was for a 7 1/2 45 colt so I ordered it and had to work it over to make it fit. Anyway it was @.450 in height and was hitting 7-8" low at 20 yards so I took it down to .370 to get it dead on while leaving a little adjustment in the rear sight for different bullet weights.
.370 works great with this model but was curious if someone has this exact model and could measure the actual factory height.
I have several Rugers in Redhawk, Gp100, Sp101 and Blackhawks and every one of them has different sight configurations.
Thanks guys I hope this is the correct area to post this.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you have it sighted in like you want it, what more information is needed?

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Dpcd
I have it exactly how I want it, I have just found that most Ruger revolvers tend to run out of adjustment with the heavier bullets and hit high.
Was just curious about what the factory height was, I had to order a new front sight from Bowen for my Redhawk to hit perfectly with my +p 310 grain cast Redhawk loads.
That sight is. 060 taller than factory to correct the point of impact.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have every caliber of Blackhawk made, but all are 3 screw, pre safety bar, pre 73. I can measure a front sight on a 357 if you want, but I still don't see the problem you are trying to solve.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd no longer trying to solve anything was just curious about the height on a 4 5/8s 357 is all from the factory.
I read last night that it was @ .350 but someone also posted. 335 on six guns or some place like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do realize that with a revolver, the heavier the load usually the higher the POI. This is due to recoil and barrel time.

Place your gun on a flat surface upside down on it's sights. Now you will notice the barrel is facing in n upward direction.

I had the factory replace my front sight with a higher one because my hot loads were shoot much too high!

Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Hip
I surely do and with hot loads using heavy bullets it just compounds the matter. I think Ruger assembles their pistols on the notion that most people will shoot lighter bullets and shooters like myself thzt shoot heavy for caliber bullets tend to run out of sight adjustment and have to replace the front sight with a taller one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Fermincgarza.com. He custom makes Ruger Blackhawk front sights in many different styles, heights, materials. I think he is the go to guy when getting the sight you need for any specific load you want to use. One drawback, is they have to have a hole drilled and tapped if you buy a complete sight. Either way, it is worth a look at his sight or a call to him.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
In my world, there are only problems, and solutions. Nothing exists just because and there is no time to think about such things because there are so many actual problems for which I need to find a solution. Spent too much time with the Army problem solving process. Step one is always the hardest for most people to grasp. Identify the problem. Do not confuse courses of actions for problems. You are not trying to drain the swamp; you just want to get to the other side. (The term "you" does not refer to anyone in particular.)

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
dpcd
It sounds like you have a very nice collection of Blackhawks. I'll have to look closer at the early ones I suppose, I know of the 3 screw models and remember all the warnings and offers from Ruger to convert them so you could carry 6 in the cylinder safely. Did they ever have the firing pin on the hammer like the old Colt SSA? I guess I never paid much attention to the early ones. I know back in the day you couldn't pick up a magazine without seeing their offer to convert them.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All of them have the frame mounted firing pin; but the hammer and trigger were exactly like the Colt in design and function. I never had any converted; it is a solution to a lawyers problem; not a problem for a knowledgeable SA shooter. I have also had a few post 73 ones, but the actions are not as smooth. The transfer bar is an abomination. I know....