THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing a H-S Precision stock questions ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 700 SPS Varmint I want to put an H-S Precision stock on and I have a few questions in regard to installing an H-S Precision stock on a Remington 700.

(1) When you install the stock screws, do you install them with or without lube, anti- sieze compound, Loc-Tite, etc.?

(2) Is there a specific sequence in tighening the stock screws ?

(3) Which torque wrench would you recommend ?

(4) What amount of torque has given you the best accuracy ?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
(1) I use a drop of oil on the thread and a little on the underside of the head.

(2) I snug up the front guard screw first then the rear, and then repeat this sequence one more time to 65 inch lbs for that stock.

(3) Based on the recommendation of a friend, I now use this one for most things:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...STABLE_TORQUE_HANDLE

(4) That is something a person has to experiment with and determine for themselves. The main benefit of using a torque wrench is so you can repeat the setting. Accuracy is all about finding what works and then being able to repeat it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I build long range rifles and use a lot of H-S Precision stocks. I find that they work a little better if you glass bed them as well. I use Devcon 1010. It's very good stuff. Just a thought.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote