THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best steel for case color hardening?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I've found out the hard way some steels color better than others but I don't which ones.

Anybody know?

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Terry, I probably can't be a whole lot of help but no one seems to be responding. I'll act like I know just to get the ball rolling. My recollection is that the more chromium, the more resistant to coloring. I think 1018 was what many pre-war guns were made from and is very good for coloring.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry:

I haven't read this thread for a while, but if it is not mentioned in here, I'm certain the main actor will know the answer......this was put up by someone earlier in this forum.......

case hardening

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of chico1
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I don't know what is the best however 8620 is a great steel which is mainly used for gears on cars. A custom gunmaker (Martin Hagn) who is known for producing high quality single shots uses this steel and judging by the look of his finished guns it takes case hardening well.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. Smiler

Posts: 10 | Location: western Canada | Registered: 21 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask your heat treater what works. You might ask "new_guy" here who's the Heym rep. They have a case hardened bolt gun for sale on their site. I'd guess they're using the DIN equivalent of 4340. I believe H&H also use the Anglo equivalent of 4340.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of the action makers use 8620 if case hardening is the end process.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1822 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote