New
Find
Notify
Tools

Set back vs. rebarrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 7mm Wby. that I have been shooting since the early 80's that has started to become inconsistent for accuracy lately. It has been shot quite a lot over the years and has been capable of .5-1" groups with several bullets/loads.

I have been considering rebarreling, possibly staying with the 7mm or possibly going to .257wby but someone at the range this morning suggested setting the barrel back to address the throat wear as a means to remedy the accuracy problem. I know there is plenty of freebore to paly with.

Does this make sense? Should I expect improvement by having it set back or should I stay on the rebarrel path?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Dan

Posts: 53 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan

The short answer is that I would recommend you go with a new barrel. I shoot a lot of benchrest and setting back a good shooting barrel is common – but makes the most sense for someone who has their own reamer and does their own work because its basically free. A set-back never restores a barrel to its full accuracy potential that you had when the barrel was brand new.

Unless your barrel is low mileage – and I’m guessing its not – then you will have a worn throat for several inches. Setting the barrel back will not remove much of the wear and you will have paid for the full cost of labor needed to fit a new barrel anyhow.

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be better off investing in a new barrel as opposed to setting back the one you have now.I have a 7mmRemMag that was one of the most accurate hunting rifles that I own.A few years back,accuracy went sour.I set the barrel back one thread and rechambered it.The result in this particular rifle was no gain in accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I suspected, it sounds like a new barrel is in order.

Thanks.

Dan

Posts: 53 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote