Find
Notify
Tools

Check out the prices at this auction
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/aboutus.html

I just had a look at this auction and the prices of guns offered as well as the selection seems much more reasonably priced than Gunbroker and Auctionarms as well as in considerably better condition.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm having some trouble believing their price ranges.

Searcy .470 double $3000-4000

Interamrs/Whitworth boxed action $40-60

Whitworth .458 $300-500

Some of these seem awfully low. Has anyone bid at one of their auctions?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I am embarrassed, but I didn't realize it was an auction. And yes I do realize he said "auction" in the original post. sleep

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's an auction guys. The estimated price has nothing to do with the hammer price.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to add an additional 12.5% to the final price. If you live in California, add sales tax (7.75% in Orange County) on top of everything.

As someone said, the estimated price has nothing to do with the final bid price.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
As someone said, the estimated price has nothing to do with the final bid price.

I realize that. It just seems that in some cases the estimated range is artifically low. I don't know why that would be.

Edited -- I looked at one of the past auctions (the last one) and the prices realized. As you would expect, some sale prices came in right in the predicted range, some above and some below. All in all, I still don't think I would get to walk away with a Searcy .470 for $3-4K plus fees and taxes, but it did get me to read the bidding requirements.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a tendency for auctioneers to underestimate in their catalogs to draw in the suckers.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used or won an auction here? I am thinking about low balling a few rilfes just incase..

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I hope all of the estimates are low. I have a German Naval Dagger almost identical to this: http://67.155.195.2:8050/FMPro?-db=GMA_Inventory.fp5&-format=inv_detail.html&-lay=web&-RecID=38266&-find but it has the Nazi swastikas on it and they are estimating $800-1200 for theirs.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I hope all of the estimates are low. I have a German Naval Dagger almost identical to this: http://67.155.195.2:8050/FMPro?-db=GMA_Inventory.fp5&-format=inv_detail.html&-lay=web&-RecID=38266&-find but it has the Nazi swastikas on it and they are estimating $800-1200 for theirs.

I did see where some auctions closed within or below the estimated range. But you weren't going to sell that anyway, were you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
As someone who ahs bought from Gunbroker and Auction Arms, I found the prices here more than comparable and the condition of the guns in the pictures also looks much better. Yes, auctions do have no fixed price but I wonder what harm it would do to someone who was interested to bid electronically? Who knows how things may turn out? Smiler

I am bidding for one particular rifle and please wish me luck! Smiler

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am bidding for one particular rifle and please wish me luck!

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

I did see where some auctions closed within or below the estimated range. But you weren't going to sell that anyway, were you?

Probably not, it was a trophy brought back by my father in law from WWII that he gave to me. Wifezilla would probably prefer to keep it in the family.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote