New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re- CROWNING without bbl removal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is not the ideal way to do this but the rifle is over 50 years old and with the worst looking crown you have ever seen, holds 1.5-2moa consistently. After all these years I am just playing with handloads and making improvements here and there w/o going through the total overhaul route. I will eventually rebarrel the gun as it is one of my favorites but as an experiment WHAT METHODS OF RE-CROWNING HAVE YOU FOUND SUCCESSFUL? HOW ARE THE MANDREL TYPES SUCH AS OFFERED IN BROWNELLS....WHAT ELSE HAVE YOU TRIED? THANK YOU

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have successfully used the Brownell tool many times with very good results on many calibers. It is extremely sharp, and does a good job. I make my own snug fitting pilots out of Delrin for most calibers. For .22's I use brass pilots. I can't say how well their pilots fit, not having used them.

Seems like it would be easier/cheaper for you to have it done, than to buy the tool. Just a thought. Good luck! Joe

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Gunsmither, I'm interested in how you make the pilots. Can you post any pics or perhaps explain how to make them.
Thanks,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Gunsmither, I'm interested in how you make the pilots. Can you post any pics or perhaps explain how to make them.
Thanks,
Weagle

I use the nearest size Black Delrin rod to whatever caliber I need, chucked in a collet, and turn OD at very high speed with a "Knife" style lathe tool. This gives a smooth finish. Delrin machines beautifully and accurately.

I measure bore/land diameter with ground plug gauges to find outside diameter of pilot. I make pilots a few tenths oversize usually, and the Delrin rides the bore nice and snug, and won't damage it.

The Brownell tool has a .1875" pilot stem, so I just drill a 3/16" hole in my Delrin pilot, then I ream with a 3/16 machine reamer, as the Delrin usually drills slightly undersize, and is too tight on the tool pilot stem. Cut off your pilot piece about an inch long or so, and your all set.

This has worked very well on .243 cal. and up if I recall correctly. It's simple to make a pilot for any bore, whereas the factory ones may be a little loose, or tight. .22 cal is hard to machine the Delrin thin enough, so I've used brass. Delrin is really neat stuff. I use it for all kinds of things in my shop, including a line of gunsmithing tools I sell, one of which Brownells carries. Hope this helps! Safe and Happy Shooting! Joe

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Try setting a marble on top of the bbl with a bit of lapping compound and simply roll it around with the palm of your hand. Another even less scientific method is to chuck a round headed screw with a regular driver slot into a drill and give 'er a whirl. If its bad enough that the former would be an improvment then its best to follow it up with the marble trick.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
in addition to a marble, an old mouse ball (ask your vet to save you one, har har har) that you peel the rubber coating off works too.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Ultraman,

An old gunsmith I knew showed me how to "ball cut" a new crown on an old Savage M99 that had over-vigorous cleaning rod wear at the muzzle.

He had a brass ball with a screw run through it, and chucked that in his drill press. With the table swung out of the way, you hold the rifle by the barrel and move it in a circular pattern to recut the crown -- the rifle will inscribe a cone as you move it. He also advised charging the ball with an abrasive compound.

I tried it, and the rifle went from 4" groups to about 1.5" as I recall.

Not elegant, but it worked.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than a screw, use a carriage bolt. No slot and you have a straight shank to chunk onto.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used the brass round head screw method with lapping compound. It eats up the contour of the screw pretty fast ,deforming it . I wonder if its better to use a steel round head.. Ive used a fine grit enery cloth formed to the screw head a tapped to the drill chuck and it polishes it very nice.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really need to stick to brass. The abrasive will embed the softest material (the brass) to cut the harder material (the barrel steel). If you're getting a deformed brass screw head, you need to keep it moving, rotating it off-center.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SST, the one that Ate up the brass screw ,I was cutting Off a chipped land at the crown. I used some courser valve lapping compond. Just need to have several brass screws .

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If muzzle crown needs more attention than can be "cured" with a brass ball/round screw head with abrasive, it really deserves to be done right on a lathe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont have a lathe..Maybe someday when I live closer to a "decent" gunsmith. My crown job shot a .475 group , end of story

one of us
posted Hide Post
.475" group? That's a good ending to any story in my book.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I have used a bullet larger than the caliber chucked in a drill. Using polishing compound on the bullet. It works quit well.

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote