Find
Notify
Tools

&mm STW twist rate info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted
I want to build an 7 Shooting times westerner, and i am trying to get advice on its constuction and conponenent inventory. my thoughts are with the berrel at the moment, and what twist rate to go for, my old bdl remy7mm mag had a 1in 91/2 twist, and that gun liked 120grain to 140 grain bullets mostly. now in the stw i want to shoot 140grain and up to make use of the case obviously, but i would like to make a choice of twist that gives the most versatility without loseing out on the guns vertues too mutch if at all. any advice welcome please?

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good rule of thumb is to have a twist that is fast enough to stabilize the longest bullet you will be using.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of my 7mmstws have a 1 in 10" twist.I shoot only 140gr bullets and groups average 1/2".

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted Hide Post
my reasons for haveing a 7 stw was to be able to shoot the heavyer bullets as well in my old 7 rem mag i used both 120 and 140 gr bullets to good efect, but the longer heavyer vld bergers and jlks will need a tighter twist than the 1 in 9 1/2" rem barrel wont they?

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried 160 gr bullets with a 1 in 10" twist,and they did shoot well,but I prefer to shoot 140gr bullets in the 7mmstw.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote