Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06 to 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I need some opinions from the expert. I saw a Mauser 98 at a gunshop that was sporterized and converted to 8mm-06. How difficult/expensive would it be to have it opened up to 9.3x62?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would just go ahead & buy a barrel from Lothar Walther (artical 720) chambered in 9.3x62 & threaded for the M98. Give Woody a call 770-889-9998 He will be glade to help you.

Lothar Walther

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say it would probably be cheaper and the result would be of higher quality to buy a new barrel.

Now if the barrel on the Mauser is unique, such as a octogan w/ integral parts and engraving, you may want to have it re-rifled.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedWhy all the attention being given to 9.3? Is there some kind of magic because it is .009" bigger in Dia. than the 35 caliber?
flameIf that 8mm/06 has still life in the barrel it'll do nicely in all 50 states and than some with less recoil.The 9.3 my have a slight edge on brown bear but anything else dead is dead. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedWhy all the attention being given to 9.3? Is there some kind of magic because it is .009" bigger in Dia. than the 35 caliber?

roger

Why pay any attention to the .35? After all, it's .009" smaller than the 9,3! flame

Oh, that and all the really good bullets for the 9,3. beer

Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I was more concerned with being able to buy factory ammo, which I can't find for 8mm-06. I figure I could get it re-barreled to any 30-06 based cartridge, but it seemed easier and more cost effective to have the barrel opened up to 9.3x62. The other option being I could buy a barrel from Midway, say in 270, and have that put on. I'm merely investigating if I could make a cost effective hunting rifle with the action since I've never had a rifle re-barreled or re-bored before so I'm unfamiliar with the cost associated with it.

I've got a 375, so no real need for the 9.3, but it does seem like a nice cartridge. Big Grin

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

I've got a 375, so no real need for the 9.3, but it does seem like a nice cartridge. Big Grin

Same here, but it hasn't stopped me from building three of my own. In fact, for two years straight, it has been THE most requested build. Followed by the .338-06.

The 8mm-06 is a fine round too but as you say, not much in the way of factory ammo for it, lol.

If the rifle is already feeding 8mm-06 well, then chances are it will do so with the 9,3. A LW Article 722 Barrel is but $219 + shipping away.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

roger

Why pay any attention to the .35? After all, it's .009" smaller than the 9,3! flame

Oh, that and all the really good bullets for the 9,3. beerBig Grin

I tend to agree with you on limiited selection on 35 cal. bullets (A real shame). Yet there are still enough to get the job done plus. At the range I still see more 35 cal. rifles than I do .366 cal. In the next 20 years or so it might enjoy a modest following. Frowner
thumbdown If you are not a reloader than the 8mm/06 is a downer for sure. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote