New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney trigger pull ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to set the trigger pull on my Timney sportsman as low as possible safely. This trigger is rated at 2-4 lbs but would like under 2lbs if possible. Have any of you been able to set it any lower than 2lbs without any problems? It's in a Remington 700 VLS.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but you might consider installing a trigger assembly designed for lighter weight rather than trying to go below what your unit was designed for.

Several companies (including Timney) build bench rest trigger assemblies that will adjust down to 2 oz...just don’t ever fart with your finger on the trigger! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can live with just 2lbs, it's already set at 2.5-3 lbs and already shoots pretty good. I saw those 2 - 8 oz triggers, nope, this is a varmint and hunting rifle and don't need it going off from a slight bump.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timney is very honest about what their triggers can do.
2 lbs is plenty light enough for a varmint rifle.
If you ever need a lighter pull, then Timney also makes one thet is adjustable down to ounces and actually pivots so you can have it in any position you want.
it is really an awesome trigger.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuperMagnum:
I can live with just 2lbs, it's already set at 2.5-3 lbs and already shoots pretty good. I saw those 2 - 8 oz triggers, nope, this is a varmint and hunting rifle and don't need it going off from a slight bump.

In my opinion a “hunting†rifle with a trigger weight lower than what you already have is an accident waiting to happen.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on Rick, that was recently confirmed for me.
I like my CZ 452 17 HMR at 2 lbs, but know enough to keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to pull it. Just yesterday I handed the rifle to a neighbor to take a shot. He did...from about half way to his shoulder. Then I got the "hair trigger" spiel.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cossack:
Right on Rick, that was recently confirmed for me.
I like my CZ 452 17 HMR at 2 lbs, but know enough to keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to pull it. Just yesterday I handed the rifle to a neighbor to take a shot. He did...from about half way to his shoulder. Then I got the "hair trigger" spiel.

I’m a miltary trained shooter and in my opinion far too many people try to solve poor shooting skills/habits with “tricks.â€

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just yesterday I handed the rifle to a neighbor to take a shot. He did...from about half way to his shoulder.

I suppose I'm going to get my self in trouble
again. BUT;
Your first mistake wasn't a 2lb trigger, it was giving it to your neighbour, at least with out
a warning. AND who in their right mind would
put 2lbs on a trigger half way to their shoulder?
The safety issue implied to say a 2lb trigger
is unsafe as one may "touch", swing on, jag,
bump, whatever, on a 3,4 or more trigger with
impunity is very dodgy IMO.
My 1lb triggers are quite controlable IMO.
And it is then obvious to handle them very carefully, as one should even with heavier ones.

And what the soldier meant I don't know, but if
he is saying a light trigger is a civy gimmic
I have to disagree strongly.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL,

The “soldier†is actually a retired Marine...and what I meant was that in my opinion and experience far too many people want to make adjustments, modifications and/or add on the newest whiz-bang gadget to their weapons under the assumption that these new things will make them shoot better.

Light trigger weights do not cancel out poor shooting habits...that was my only point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir, I totally agree, my rifles are pretty much
stock standard. I hope you will also agree
a gritty 8lb trigger also doesn't help erase
bad shooting habits?
My ideal trigger is a two stage Mil SMLE.
Safe as houses, big sear bite, with a nice final
let-off. (I could be biased though.)

John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Sir, I totally agree, my rifles are pretty much
stock standard. I hope you will also agree
a gritty 8lb trigger also doesn't help erase
bad shooting habits?
My ideal trigger is a two stage Mil SMLE.
Safe as houses, big sear bite, with a nice final
let-off. (I could be biased though.)

John L.

JAL,

I’m not a “sirâ€...I work for a living! Smiler

I agree completely with your ideal trigger. It’s pretty damned hard to “accidently†set off a two stage military type trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Always willing to learn, I've just revised my ideas on trigger pull weights.
Sure for cold weather using gloves, my 1LB triggers would be too light.
Otherwise on a .22 223, and even my 3030 I could handle it.
BUT; Just been shooting my new .458 which came
with about 3 1/2 lbs. Now that I have to hold
the rifle "firmly" it seems odd to hold the
grip tight and trigger finger so "loose", so I
don't think I'll be lightening this one.

P.S. She got my mate twice in the forehead with
the scope. Beauty. And a factory solid went
through 8" of of Banksia tree, traveled 3 feet
and went thru another one of 10" and then disapeared into a windrow. I like it.
John L.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To an inexperienced or novice shooter, a 4lb trigger with no creep and a "glass break" is "hair". Everybody's been a rookie once.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you guys are talking about. I have been shooting HP rifles for several years so I am no rookie at this. I was just wondering how safe it would be if the pull was that light that's all. I already can shoot my rifle pretty good with the 2.5 - 3 lb pull so I have no reason to adjust it lower but to practice, practice and practice. I always warn the person first that the trigger is light before I hand it to him to shoot.