Tools

6mm BR rifle to 6mm BR pistol *DELETED*
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Post deleted by 9.3x62

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62, are you located in the States?? If yes, I was under the impression it was illegal to turn anything that had been a rifle into a handgun?? But maybe it is just the uninformed foreigner babbling along here?? Apparently, going the other way handgun -> rifle is considered kosher.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

so I was thinking of converting it to an XP-100-like hunting pistol. ... Anyway, is this a possible and/or quasi-sensible endeavor? If so, any idea what it would cost? TIA.

I dont mean to be condesending but the cost could be a long time in jail (if you were caught) Conversion of any firearm that was origially a rifle to a pistol is a big no-no. Thompson Center went thru a big stink not that long ago with the carbine kits for the contender. The only way to make a pistol (legally) out of a rifle action is to have an action that the manufacturer will state in writing that it was never produced as a "rifle" and a few other pieces of documentation that I cannot remember at this time. Save the barrel for something else or sell it and do something different with the action. Its not worth the risk.

Posts: 114 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Wow, am I a moron. Well, I submit a humble thank you to you both - intentions aborted!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, one learns something new every day, nothing wrong with that. I thought it would be a pity not to shoot the 6mm BR as it is. Have you got too many toys to have the time and inclination to feed and use this one?? The caliber surely would keep you content in terms of accuracy...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
So focused on feasibility, I forgot about legality. Man, I haven't been this embarrased in quite awhile.

I had it put togther as a varmint rig that would be OK for smaller deer species. However, I have since discovered that I prefer a 223 (with cheap bulk factory ammo) for varmints and usually pick up a 250-3000 or Bob for deer, so it gets left home a lot. I have thought about having it bored out to a 6mm Rem AI and having a nice antelope/deer rifle for open country, but it is a bit too heavy for that. It just turned into one of those "great ideas" that was eclipsed by subsequent purchases and rekindled interests in some older members of my battery...

I also thought about having pac-nor turn the barrel down to a 700 mountain rifle contour and then having it re-chambered to 6mm-250, 243, or 6mm Rem., and then dropping it into a nice light stock for antelope/whitetails in hilly terrain. These re-chamberings should be possible because the #3 has about 2.25" of straight cyliner ahead of the lug in its current configuration. Pac-nor will do this for surprisingly little money (the re-contour only costs $35). Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again for your ealier comments.

Regards,

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, this is why the XP 100 pistol was introduced before the model 7 rifle, as it was initially a pistol action and then made into a rifle, and not the other way around.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hangunnr
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken the XPs used model 600 actions originally.

If you are stateside and are really interested in a 6BR handgun PM me with a phone number as I have a XP custom in 6BR I would like to move.

hangunnr

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Og geez of course you are correct! That is what I get for posting late at night!

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, the 600's used the XP action. The XP in 1963 and the 600 in 1964.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hangunnr
posted Hide Post
Right you are Mr. Glore. Thanks for the clarification.

hangunnr

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote