THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Troubled thoughts regarding scope rings and bases.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Troubled thoughts regarding scope rings and bases.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the process of having a rifle built. I've got most things worked out (a left handed Canadian is a nasty combo when it comes to getting things going), but the scope mounts have me losing some sleep.

I really like a ring/base combo setup and have had great success with them in the past. Trouble has also accompanied some of them as well. I've gone through a bunch of brands and types and have settled on the new Talley/NULA lightweights. These were great on a previous rifle but deep down wish that they were steel.

Ted Blackburn makes a steel set and I have visited his shop to look at them. They look well made, but not built how I would like them (I don't know who the heck I think I am). If I did get them I would darn shure want to know if they would work with rifle and scope. The scope in question would be a 2.5-8x36 on top of a model 70 reciever and I would like it to hug the barrel as close as possible realizing of course the finished contour of the barrel needs to be known.
It isn't.

Another alternative would be Talley's flagship two piece system that have recieved so much praise. Are they as good as have been reported and would they be something that would withstand years of use?

Any thoughts, comments, or smart remarks would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

P.S. Over the counter mounts aren't going to cut it here. Why? because I am extremely picky [Wink] .

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

If you are that picky why don't you have the gunsmith building the rifle also build the scope mount to your liking? [Wink]

I haven't had any problem with my steel Talleys on .375s.

Have you looked at the Conetrol mounts?

jim dodd

http://www.conetrol.com/

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Tally's are fine mounts and rings, but my only knock on them is in low they are really too high. Talley low rings will fit most 44mm objectives. Your 2.5x8 will have a 36mm. All that lever "stuff", is built into the base of the rings, meaning not real low...

So they will not hug the road like you say you want them too. Also at $125. per set, mistakes can get expensive.

I know you said "no off the shelf", but have you used Leupold QR (not QRW) rings and bases. They will mount a 2.5x8 really low over the receiver on a model 70. Rings are cheap enough (about $25.00), that if you pick a set too low, or want to mount a different scope, the price of changing is not too high. Bases and rings run around $70.00 a set. They also have levers, but the lever's are on the bases and not on the rings. They will return to zero, allowing a sighted backup scope to be carried.

They are all steel, but may not be the "quality" on a custom rifle you are looking for.

Here's a pic of my pre-64 300 H&H with Leupold Low QR's and a 1.5x6-32 Burris Signature. This scope was designed by a idiot, with the turret way forward. I own it cause I got it cheap, and sometimes cheap will do in a pinch. In any event it fits, and with this weirdo scope fitting it on something was half the battle. The scope, not rifle, was one of my "mistakes".

-

The pic is not too clear, but the power change rings just clears the base. This the Leupold's pre-64 Express base, for only 300 and 375 H&H's.

Good luck in finding what you really want,

Bob

[ 11-06-2003, 00:58: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also used the Leupold QR bases and rings on several rifles, including some hard and fast kickers, 3 300WBY mags, A 340 WBY, a 375, and a 458 Whitworth. They all returned to zero and I had no problems with them. I contacted Leupold before I put them on the 375 and 458. They stated they were plenty strong enough, and in fact were stronger than their regular scope mount. I did several on/off/on tests and could never detect any shift in zero.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shadow, how much vertical adjustment does that scope have? Is there a functional reason the turret is so far forward?

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arock,

Don't know what the vertical adjustment is, guess I could look up the Burris spec's. I know of no functional reason for this design, but I'm not a optics expert. Looks weird though, and unlike any scope I own or have owned.

I had it on a White in-line Muzzleloader, that has really close coupled rings. To get the eye relief needed the turrets were forward of the front ring, with both rings between the turrets and the power ring. Worked well, looked strange.

I keep it around to remind me of the "paradox of cheap".

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shadow, I wondered if the front turret allowed more vertical (and horizontal) adjustment. Just a SWAG on my part.

I like the "Paradox of Cheap". [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shadow,

What do you have against Leupold's QRW system? I have used it without trouble on Pre 64 M70's in 375H&H, 338 WM, 300 H&H, 30-06, 270, and 308.

Chuck,

When mounting the scope low, the issue you will have to deal with is the bolt handle hitting the rear bell of the scope when you cycle it. That will most likely be your limiting factor. I find that the Leupold QRW low 1" rings barely let the bolt clear the rear bell of Leupold scopes.

Also, I like the look and function of the Blackburn/Smithson QD system. I played with it at the last SCI show. Be warned though, I have a friend that has experienced absolutely horrible service from them so far. They told him 30 days and he is still waiting for it after more than 6 months!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Still no idea when he will see it.

My favorite mounts are actually the German made EAW QD system. Very high quality and very strong. I now have this system on my Pre-64 M70 375H&H. A little pricey but very high quality. I also like the fact that you can see your iron sights when the EAW bases are installed. They have a shallow groove down the middle of them. Not so with the Leupold QR and QRW.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shumba,

Nothing really. Only they have the same problem that the Talley's have. The lever adjustments fit in the base of the rings, making them higher than I like.

Other than that they work, look and function fine. Have a couple pair on rifles that have rather large objective bells (44MM).

Bob

PS: looked up the Burris spec's for the 1.5x6 Signature pictured above, 100" of V & H adjustment. Somebody asked.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck

You have a PM

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Shumba,
Are you saying that with the Leupold QR &QRW bases you cannot use the iron sights on a 375 Mod 70? I was thinking of going to QR mounts for mine but if that's the case I'll continue to carry a torx wrench and forget the QR's.
BTW I have an older Burris 2-7 and it has the turret farther forward than other scopes which also makes it difficult to mount. Don't know if this has been changed in their current production.
Blacktailer

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Burris 1.75 x 5 that also has the turret far forward. One explanation is that perhaps it was designed for a break open gun or a Ruger #1. But mine actually fits very well on an Austin & Halleck BP rifle.

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

Not to jump in on a question not directed towards me, but I have a current production Model 70 Safari in 375 H&H with the Leupold QR bases and low rings. The scope is a Leupold 2-7 and it is a perfect fit and iron sights are usable with this base system.

Hope this helps you!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote