Find
Notify
Tools

adjusting the firing pin coil/spring?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents
In one of the family zkw465´s there is sometimes a problem the gun refuses to fire when the firing pin hits the primer. By opening the bolt and put the spring back in position, the gun will fire at the next time the firing pin hits the primer.

What can be done to increase the force of the spring/firing pin so that enough force is hitting the primer at all times? I cannot see any differences between the malfunctioning bolt and the other bolts, so it might be a material problem rather than a assembly problem?

Finally, is this something to be tinkered with or should it be left to a gunsmith?
I will not do any attempt to "fix" anything until I have a complete understanding of the problem, cause and consequences. Naturally, if needed the smith will do it.

Sincerely
Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
sounds like a weak firing pin spring or not enough protrusion. Measure the protrusion, if OK, change the spring to factory new one.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty
The protusion of the head of the firing pin is not different than from the other bolts, nor are the shape and angles of the firing pin head different, thus it seems to be the spring that is too weak. I hope to find a new spring somewhere, might be a problem in itself though, these rifles ceased to be produced in 1976, and the bolt in question dates back to 1949. There are one company here in sweden that have lots of parts for the old husqvarna and other mauser type rifles. Will give them a call tomorrow.

Sincerely
/Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of the zkw465 but if it has an adjustable trigger you might check to see that it is allowing the striker to fall freely and not dragging. Some triggers, if not adjusted properly, will do this and cause miss-fires or hang-fires.
Just an idea.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cgbach

Will look into that too. The zkw does have a double trigger where the first trigger will set the spring and the second will let it go. On the other hand, I have cleaned the entire mechanism without any improvements in the behaviour. It seems that on the range one in 15 shots will misfire.

Sincerely
Daniel

one of us
posted Hide Post
It could also be those damn CCI LR primers, particularly if they're not seated all the way down.

Or a subtle combination of suboptimal conditions.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huglu:
Rusty
The protusion of the head of the firing pin is not different than from the other bolts, nor are the shape and angles of the firing pin head different, thus it seems to be the spring that is too weak. I hope to find a new spring somewhere, might be a problem in itself though, these rifles ceased to be produced in 1976, and the bolt in question dates back to 1949. There are one company here in sweden that have lots of parts for the old husqvarna and other mauser type rifles. Will give them a call tomorrow.

Sincerely
/Daniel

Huglu;

I am a Husqvarna collector. Can you please give me the contact information for the company with the Husqvarna parts?

Thank you.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sbhva

Pm sent

/Daniel