Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor stock finish on Weatherby Vangaurd
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone heard or had this type of problem with their Vangaurd.

My Dad picked up a .300Wby Vangaurd Sporter. This has the wood stock. Of course he sends me out to the range. He says I like the punishment of sighting in a Magnum more than he does.

I shot about 20 rounds through the gun and noticed tiny white marks in the finish on the far side of the bolt lift. It looked like varnish flaking. The notch in the stock, cut out for the bolt lift is already rounded off on the back corner and a different color.
I was surprised at how easily the finish had worn, but figured It must be my fault.

Went out again and shot 15 more rounds and the wear is worse. I watched how I cycled the action to see if my fingernails or anything was contacting the stock and everything was fine.
I took the gun back to see why this was happening, maybe there was a recall. Nobody else had seen this before but agreed it was unusual and they would have Weatherby look at it.
While they were looking at the gun I noticed the stock was also worn around the floor plate. When sighting in I rest the gun on shooting bags made out of denim. The recoil motion wore the finish off around the floor plate.

I just called the store to see if anyone has looked at it and they forgot to send it to the local Weatherby Service shop. I dropped it off before Christmas.

Now I wish I would have taken some photos and maybe posted them so it would be easier to explain.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
This isn't directly related to the question, but it sounds like the bolt handle is contacting the stock? That could cause unsual wear but more importantaly is detrimental to the performance of the rifle.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That was my first thought when I noticed the corner rounding off.
Myself and a few people at the shop ran the bolt and it seems to be fine.

I can live with a little bit of wear on a gun but this gun has only been shot at the range. I can only imagine what will happen when hunting with it.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Coat the handle with some lipstick and see if it transfers to the stock. Some pics would really help for the finish issues.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of the stock.
I was told by the Dealer there is a 90% chance it is not covered, but go ahead and pay to ship it to an authorized Warranty depot or repair it yourself. If the rifle wasn't brand spankin' new maybe. Anyway here is what the problem looks like. Hopefully I get the pictures to show up properly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's possible that the bolt handle is rubbing the stock on the rear edge of the cut-out (when cycling the bolt), but that is simple to check. The chipped finish forward of the cut-out is a little more puzzling. Are you certain none of this damage was present when you bought the gun? I have seen similar damage on guns that was caused by cardboard packing materials.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote