New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Belk/Minwax/rustproofing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jack, you mentioned a while ago when responding to a question about release agent that you used Minwax Hard Polishing Wax. You also mentioned using the stuff for rustproofing. Would you please give me the readers digest version of its aplication, care, and maintenace in regards to the rust preventative end of things.
Thanks,

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Chuck--

I clean with solvent then warm each part to almost too hot to handle and slather on the wax......I just get a rag greasy with the wax and handle the part with nothing but the rag. Wipe well and lay it aside and let it cool. Then wipe off any excess wax and put on a light coat of oil as normal.

Museums use the same process and much the same products but leave off the oil......wax only.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack-

I know this is a simple question; but, what do you use to heat the parts? A torch or other means?

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I use a heat gun like you buy at Home Depot for stripping paint. I use it for pre-heating before rust bluing too.