THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Differences in Bottom Metal in Classic (Post 64) Model 70 Actions

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Differences in Bottom Metal in Classic (Post 64) Model 70 Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are their differences in the bottom metal of Model 70 Classic actions between the standard and Super Grade and Custom Shop rifles?

Or, do the standards, Super Grades and Custom Shop Rifles all use the same bottom metal units except for the fact that they may be held to tighter standards of polishing and finish.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The supergrades and I'm assuming custom shop model 70's use Williams 1 piece bottom metal. The classics are in house stuff.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In looking ar a left handed classic that recently arrived in the shop, I could almost swear the floorplate and hinge is also of Williams manufacture since it is indentical to the Williams part. It is certainly not the same as the cast parts on other M70s I have here. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
I have seen a super grade with the standard two piece stuff, so with what Bill said about the lefty who knows?

God Bless
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ironically, that is my action and my Williams stuff. Egg on my face? Hopefully not. [Wink]

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a supergrade (well, it resides here) that has the two piece stuff too. But, it's all steel instead of pot metal (triggerguard). I think there is yet another upgrade to get to the Williams bottom metal on a factory gun.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you never know. I have had classics with Williams and classics with two piece. Have seen Super Express with two piece. Safari Express with either Williams or 2 piece. And have seen custom shop rifles with either. So, must not be any rules for the "above bottom line" rifles.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the deal with my donor rifle. In talking to Bill last night, the floorplate on the gun was indeed Williams while the trigger guard is USRAC potmetal. Guess I have an extra floorplate. Perfect for a matching 338.

Chuck

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
USRAC has been using our bottom metal on their Supergrades for the last 4 years, but when they began using them, they were also still using the leftover parts. Since the stocks are inletted thousands at a time in Italy, it takes a while for the change to take place.

All of these factors coupled with the fact that the average consumer won't see the guns built today for 2-3 years makes the process a little confusing. To say nothing of the fact that USRAC likes changing their mind like their underwear. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So how does that explain your floorplate on my Classic?

Chuck

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
So how does that explain your floorplate on my Classic?

Chuck

Well, that's because we also manufacture a floorplate and hinge that is used in conjunction with their aluminum guard. It has a slimmer profile than their standard model.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote