New
Find
Notify
Tools

mold polishing stones
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you shape gesswein mold polishing stones to fit a particular contour or surface, ie. bolt guide side rails, etc.?

Posts: 1142 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Bench grinder or a aluminum oxide honing stone coarse grit. but they will take a shape on their own over time depending on which stone you are using. The Blue EDM stones are about the hardest one out there but produce great results

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Bench grinder with a green aluminum oxide wheel is what I use but I use Congress stones over gesswein.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Ted not the it matters but do you mean Silicon Carbide?? As those are the only "green" wheels I've ever seen. Silicon carbide is tougher then aluminum oxide when it come to stuff like this but don't grind steel with them.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Ted not the it matters but do you mean Silicon Carbide?? As those are the only "green" wheels I've ever seen. Silicon carbide is tougher then aluminum oxide when it come to stuff like this but don't grind steel with them.

Heck I forgot...it's a very soft wheel that I also sharpen carbide lathe tool bits with. Green for sure...very soft but it cuts stones like butter.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

Heck I forgot...it's a very soft wheel that I also sharpen carbide lathe tool bits with. Green for sure...very soft but it cuts stones like butter.

Yep that would be silicon carbide. I was just wondering if you found something new. And that's why I said don't use it to grind steel. That just eats up the wheel but it will cut carbide like nothing and stones too.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
tu2