THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Would you have guessed? Stainless blued barrel on Factory Savages.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you have guessed? Stainless blued barrel on Factory Savages.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
In what I might consider to be my own little white whale, I've finally confirmed what my father has sworn for years...his Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag, built circa 1964, has a stainless barrell that was blued at the factory.

According to John Callahan in Westfield, MA., that is just the case--"the bluing never turned out quite like a chromoly barrel," John said. He worked at the factory during that time, and now is referenced by Savage as a historian for Savage guns older than 1995. He is not a Savage employee (a liability issue, or something).

Anyway, my father is going to send it off to be "re-blued."

Just thougth this might perk people's interest a little. Very nice gun--beautiful wood, decent trigger, shoots well too!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've come accross several Remington blued stainless barrels of that vintage but no Savages. I'll be on the look out now as one of those Remingotns was a real surprise when it came out of the tank not matching the receiver. For some reaosn the owner wasn't so pleased with that surprise.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Toomany,

Sorry it turned out that way for you! That's the same thing for my father--the action is chromy, and no doubt whoever re-does the barrel will need to make accomodation of some kind.

Take care,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote