Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale Hussar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

I picked up a Parker Hale Hussar in 30-06. Can anyone tell me if it is a Parker Hale barrel and how these guns shot? Did Parker Hale purchase just the action or were they barreled from Brno? I know there were only about 300 of these made but maybe someone has some experience with them.

Thanks,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actions were BRNO ZG/47's...a well kept secret. These were barrelled by Parker Hale. They are as accurate as another production rifle. A lot more than 300 of these produced...don't know how many...maybe 150,000 +. You see then on GunBroker quite often. Fairly inexpensive way to get a great action for a custom gun. Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe most of Parker Hale's guns were on a Santa Barbara action and only a small number were built on a ZG47. I may be wrong though. The barrel on my Brno ZG47 does look similiar to the Parker Hale but was wondering who barreled the Parker Hale guns and how they shot?

Thanks again,

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trouthunter,

Does your 06 have a blind hole in both the bridge and the ring, centered in the intregal dovetails? Apparently to help anchor their scope rings....

I have an action, and did not realize that these were apparently standard on the Hussars.

I have not seen these holes on the ZG 47s.

THanks

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Only a few hundred Hussars were made with ZG actions, 300 is probably close.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redoak8:
Trouthunter,

Does your 06 have a blind hole in both the bridge and the ring, centered in the intregal dovetails? Apparently to help anchor their scope rings....

I have an action, and did not realize that these were apparently standard on the Hussars.

I have not seen these holes on the ZG 47s.

THanks

There is a notch on the integral dovetail for a ring but I don't think this is any different than the ZG47 or any other Brno. I think one could use the same CZ550 rings for these guns. However I am learning alot about these guns and I'm not sure? Is there any difference between the Parker Hale ZG47's and a original ZG47?

The ZG47's seem to be an extremely well built action.

Thanks for all the help guys.

ddj

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other question. If a Parker Hale is marked Hussar, does it have a ZG47 action?

Thanks again,

ddj

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Some Parker Hale sporters marked "Hussar" on the side rails were built on 98 Mauser actions. Even scarcer than ZG Hussars. Brno sold off its remaining ZG47 actions and barreled actions to Parker Hale, FW Heym and Waffen Frankonia at the end of production. About 20,000 were made totally, including original Brnos, from 1950-1962.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really am impressed by these actions. They lock up like a bank vault. Has anyone ever read how they are with handling gas? Having just one cut in the front reciever ring, one would assume they would handle gas extrememly well as do most Mausers.

ddj

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can comment on the PH Hussar's gas handling ability.

I want to praise the fine engineers and craftsmen who made my PH Hussar 243 rifle.

When the prairie dog shooting was hot and fast, I kept my eye on the dog in the scope, reached over to an ammo box and managed to drop a 250 Savage cartridge into a 243 Winchester rife. Everything was OK till I pulled the trigger.

You would think that swaging a .250 bullet down to .243, a dimensional difference of .007, would be no big deal.

It is a big deal. I recall a puff of gas, directed to both sides of the rifle. The bolt locked shut and could not be opened. When the gunsmith finished, he'd removed the barrel, noting the brass virtually welded to the bolt face. A chunk of metal was missing from one bolt lug, the barrel was bulged, the reciever was distorted and the stock cracked.

I, on the other hand, suffered only the self-inflicted ignominy of being unobservant and really foolish. There were no personal injuries, save to my pride and pocket book by destroying a fine rifle. I've salvaged the trigger guard and floor piece, cocking piece and safety, sling swivel studs, and sights. Everything else was destroyed.

There are two lessons learned here. One, keep different calibers of ammo off the shooting table at the same time. Two, you can really trust the ZG-47 action to protect you.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a parker Hale .270. Traded it for a 4th axis for my mill. I am looking into buying it back. One of those rifles that shot everything ( ammo) well, and everyone who shot it could drive tacks with it. Plus, for a factory rifle, it had a nice English profile to the barrel.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Hussar (ZG 47) action seems to be very nicely machined. Oberndorf style floorplate release, but the guard bow is 1/4" longer than others (09 Argentine) that I have compared it to. The bolt shroud safety works well, locking the bolt closed in the 'safe' position.

All in all, I really like it.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote