New
Find
Notify
Tools

ER Shaw
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone own or know anything about ER Shaw barrels?

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
They are a good premium barrel maker. I have not used them in many years, but you still see them in LR and bench rest competition.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I know after 4 months Im still waiting on mine.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they are not used by any custom gun builder that I know of...Get a Douglas if you want to conserve money or a Lothar Walther if you want the best for a little more...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,I've had them rebarrel two rifles. I'm very happy with both of them (222Rem & 7x57). Some say they are a bit rough, but haven't noticed this in mine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Drift:
They are a good premium barrel maker. I have not used them in many years, but you still see them in LR and bench rest competition .

Huh??? Bench rest? Really? With what kind of results? [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Atkinson, Douglas or Walther.

I might shoot a Shaw Barrel, if it was free.

I've had no good results from them at all, plus if you want it for next Elk season, you better hurry and get your order in. They are VERY slow.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
If someone gave me a Shaw barrel I would sell it for whatever I could get out of it and put the money towards a good barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might shoot a Shaw Barrel, if it was free.

If you think it is free you are mistaken.

Here we go again...Anybody that buys a Shaw barrel just does not understand what a bad barrel is or has got $hit for brains. No more comments needed...'nuf said...over and out!!!!

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
younghunter-

You don't have email or PM abilities enabled, so drop me a note. I'll give you some info on where to get a Douglas barrel for about the same as that Shaw.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
ER Shaw barrels used for benchrest and LR? Perhaps to attach wind flags to, and to mark off the impact zone...
[Big Grin]

The only way I would shoot a Shaw barrel is if one were anchored at 100 yards... [Smile]

Malm

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore - Look at the IBS information in the back of Precision Shooting magazine. The precision shooting crowd mostly use Krieger, Hart, Shilen, Schneidr, Lilja, & K&P. Every once in a while you will see a Shaw and a Pac-Nor. I have never seen a Lothar Walther even though they are great barrels.

Shaw would not be my choice for a precision shooting bore, however, I would rather have a Shaw over most factory tubes. But, I would rather have a Shilen than to spend about the same on a Shaw. Hope that clears up any confusion regarding my statement.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried Shaw barrels in the past and they are excellent barrels (for tent stakes), no doubt about that. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot's of 5.56mm shooters use Shaw barrels, they are well respected. Sub 1/2 moa groups from a AR15 are common.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
.5 MOA from a tent stake is not bad  - .

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

Here we go again...Anybody that buys a Shaw barrel just does not understand what a bad barrel is or has got $hit for brains. No more comments needed...'nuf said...over and out!!!!

Jim...

I've had a few barrels in my life, and a few of them have been Shaws. I perhaps have been fortunate that I really don't know what a "bad" barrel is. And you likely won't go through life (at least not in my 55 years thus far) without someone thinking you've got $hit for brains......but I think a few comments are needed.

You're a gunsmith. A friend of mine has had work done by you and speaks very highly of your skill. And although you are certainly one of the most vociferous detractors of Shaw barrels, your opinion shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

At current prices Shaw will true the receiver, true the bolt face, lap lugs, and install one of their barrels for about $275.

Other than the obvious "if you spend more, you can get better".......which is true of almost anything......how will the "BAD" in the above example be manifested?

Thanks....

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
younghunter

There is a guy by the name of Fowler in Anchorage Alaska who is selling XX Douglas barrels for about $100 bucks shipped.( I paid $85 I think.) He has most calibers or did when I got one from him. My dad, who lives in Wasilla, picked one up for me and will bring it at the end of next month. These barrels are new but he is a gunsmith trying to reduce his inventory before he retires. I doubt there is any warranty from Douglas but I believe it is a better gamble than a Shaw. Just my 2 cents. try this link.
Good Luck Shawn

web page

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
All Ive ever shot has been factory rifles and a couple of 2nd hand customs that Ive picked up from gun shops. From reading previous threads I recall reading that even most ER Shaw bbls, that is MOST with some being exceptionally bad, are at LEAST as good as most factory bbls. I obviously dont KNOW this from experience, but from hanging around here as long as I have Im guessing that it is true. I also have come to believe that most of the BAD Shaw bbls become Adams & Bennet bbls. Since they are nearly the same cost I wont be getting one of them.

I certianly hope that my first custom wont turn out to be a total POS, but Im quite confident that it wont, and that there are more than just a few pompus SOBs throwing their 2LBs worth into this thread.. I also might mention that Im not looking for benchrest matl, just something reasonably accurate and something that "I" concieved that is still within my budget (see; limited funds..) .

On a side note, I recently did some light firelapping on a rough milsurp bbl I have and am quite pleased with the results. I find it highly unlikley that a new Shaw bbl will be anywhere near as rough as that one was, and if it is I know a cure.. I will post the results I get when I have them.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My 350 Rigby may be a shaw barrel, it is a midway barrel which many folks have toted as being a shaw tube.

In its first chambering, it was finicky and marginally accurate. Since John Ricks re-chambered it, I've been very pleased with the accuracy.

My perspective on Shaw tubes is they are an economical choice for a custom. I also venture to say that more accuracy is gained/lost by who chambers the barrel and with what care, then by who made the barrel.

Which is to say that, a shaw should shoot quite well, sub moa, if carefully chambered. Bubba with a 3 jaw chuck and the reamer clamped in a drill chuck on the tailstock will make the finest barrel shoot mediocre at best.

So, if you are going to spend several hundred dollars to have a good gunsmith properly fit and chamber your barrel, why not also invest in a quality barrel at the same time to get the most out of his efforts.

If you are looking for a minimum cost re-barrel, then there is nothing wrong with a Shaw or Midway barrel, they should shoot at least as well as the average factory tube if fit and chambered with some care.

You may very well also have to spend more time and effort finding a good shooting load for the economy job, as opposed to a high dollar barrel/chamber job which should shoot most anything well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Douglas, for $25 more... Pacnor for 50 more...

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kobe, I don't even know you, but for all I know, you too could have shit for brains, seein's how I do just 'cause I've got 2 good shooters with Shaw tubes. [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote