New
Find
Notify
Tools

Universal .256 Ferret
 Login/Join

<landtrain>
posted
Does anyone out there have any printed information or good old time knowledge about the Universal Firearms Carbine chambered in .256 Ferret. This .256 was a .30 Carbine necked down to accept a 60 grain .257 bullet, not to be confused with the .256 Winchester, a .357 necked down to .257.

I have aquired a barreled action in what I believe to be a .256 Ferret and thought I'd pour some money into it.

I'm looking for any thing that has been published or forming/reloading dies, loading data, etc. Answer here and leave an address or phone number.

<Alleycat>
posted
My Standard Catalog of Firearms from Gun List (2nd ed.) shows a Universal carbine mod. 1256 Ferret chambered FOR the .256 Win. Mag. Could you have been thinking of the 5.7mm Johnson (.22/.30 Carbine & .22 "Spitfire")?

<landtrain>
posted
AlleyCat: Based on my research, No. The .256 WinMag is a .357 Mag case necked down to accept a .257 bullet. Have not been able to determine just who made which one first but the chamber mouth of my barrel won't even take the very tip of a .357 case nor will the .357 case head fit into the face of the bolt. Am waiting for Brownells to send me my chamber casting stuff before I go any further.

Thanks. Every little bit helps.