Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 Rebuild Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted
Reading all the posts has my wallet itching to start a new project. I have a Ruger 77 in 243 Win that I purchased new in 1968. I have shot about a thousand rounds and the accuracy is not like it was when new. I was pondering whether to rebarrel it to a 6.5/284 Win. Other than have a smith rebarrel it are there any other areas I need to be concerned with (rails, mag well, etc. All you guys posts have me wanting a new rifle when I have two large gun safes packed now! I feel like a child making out a wish list for Santa!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aktoklat:
Reading all the posts has my wallet itching to start a new project. I have a Ruger 77 in 243 Win that I purchased new in 1968. I have shot about a thousand rounds and the accuracy is not like it was when new. I was pondering whether to rebarrel it to a 6.5/284 Win. Other than have a smith rebarrel it are there any other areas I need to be concerned with (rails, mag well, etc. All you guys posts have me wanting a new rifle when I have two large gun safes packed now! I feel like a child making out a wish list for Santa!

Are you sure the rifle has gotten less accurate, or is it you?

I say that in all seriousness, because 1,000 rounds is hardly enough to cause an accuracy decline assuming that it has been cleaned and maintained properly.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd give the barrel a thorough cleaning, ie JB bore compound and Barnes CR-10 until there is absolutely no copper left, and then head back to the range. You'd have to abuse a 243 to have it go south in 1000 rounds.

Now, if you are just looking at an excuse to rebarrel, have at it! Yes, ideally you should have a magazine made for the wider case, and the rails tweaked. That said the stock mag will likely work fine, you'll just loose one round of capacity, and the rails may work ok.

You could make it simpler and just go with a .260 rem, you'll be within 200 fps or less of the 6.5X284, and brass will be more common.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen to these guys, they've nailed it!

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might think about the 6mm/284 it is a real smoker!!! and all you have to do is rechamber, Midway has the reamer and loading dies.

It is not what you hunt with, it is how you hunt that matters!

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done several 243 to 6/284 conversions, and all have fed successfully without work. A little work on the follower or rails would help, but it would on the original 243 also.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should have mentioned that a rechambe to 6/284 will not help accuracy, since the rounds are very close to the same length (just barely enough more on the 284 case to allow rechambering without resetting the barrel). If the throat is really starting to go, it will still be gone with the 6/284. Also, most 243's have 22" barrels. The big 6 likes more barrel. Bottom line is that, much as I like the 6/284, I would opt for a new barrel. Whether you go for it or a 6.5/284 depends on the ultimate use. If there is big game in addition to varmints on tap, go for the larger factory round.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
why not just keep and eye out for a takeoff barrel, speaking of that I wouldn't mind having a ruger short action take off barrel

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell 87 of your rifles, take the $ and order one truly custom rifle from a really well known maker. You won't be there unless you spend at least $10,000 and get a walnut stock. Once followed, you will Never regret my advise.
SDH
P.S. Sell the Ruger first!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1822 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
This rifle shoots about an 1" to an 1 1/4" groups (5 shots). It once shot 3/4" groups consistently! I posted earlier it has a 1000 rounds through it. It has at least a 1000 rds maybe 3000 rds, I'm not sure. After many days and seasons I lost count or rather never kept count. I used it for years when I lived in South Dakota. It was my favorite and only Prairie dog rifle. I could play with it and maybe get a better groups with it. However, Paul H hit the nail on the head. I am looking for an excuse to rebarrel it with a heavier and better quality barrel. I was thinking about a Gary Schneider stainless Polygonal rifling in a 6mm/284, 24" #4 for an accurate and long range varmiter and deer/antelope rife. Besides I have always been intrigued with that 284 win rebated case. Currently, I have 284 cases from my Model 100 Winchester which I have retired. GNMKR has a good idea as well, except if I put out $10,000 on a new rifle I think I would lean towards a Searcy double in a big bore! You fellows definitely proposed many options and ideas! I will ponder on it for a little while and let you know my decision. Thanks to all for the suggestions and information!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote