Notify
Tools

M70 trigger question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of smedley
posted
Howdy folks, wave
Got me an older M70 short action sporter and got a situation with the trigger/sear/safety I would like to ask your help with.
When I take the safety (3 pos) off the sear slides down the trigger a little and engages the detent in the trigger. By a little, less then 0.010. The problem is that I am unable to re-engage the safety.
This rifle has been apart for a few years and was coming back together for a 'yote rifle. Had the trigger/sear and bolt release all out. Also had the bolt apart and cleaned it all up. The barrel was shot out of it so I had another (take off) trued up and lapped put on it along with having the lugs lapped.
I know it is all back together correctly but, something just aint right. I remember this having a little safety problem before I started this but I don't recall it being to the point I can't re-engage it.
Is there something that I am over looking? Is there something that I can do or do I need to go to the smith?

I ask for your help and I thank you for it! beer

Smed

Posts: 3242 | Location: Cruising through the Milky Way at 98,000fps | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cocking piece/safety lever engagement needs to be worked on. A simple matter for the fella that works on it.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
along with having the lugs lapped.

Now that the lugs have been lapped to the reciever. YES the Safety, Firing pin will have to be refitted by SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO DO IT PROPERLY.

In lapping the lugs in the bolt position has moved to the rear that much and changed the relationship of the sleeve, safety lever, vs the firing pin at the cocked position.

Regards.
Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
quote:

Now that the lugs have been lapped to the reciever. YES the Safety, Firing pin will have to be refitted by SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO DO IT PROPERLY.

In lapping the lugs in the bolt position has moved to the rear that much and changed the relationship of the sleeve, safety lever, vs the firing pin at the cocked position.

Regards.
Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Jim

Making any pre-64 bolts lately. I need one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me discuss how the trigger on the Model 70 works. Knowing how it works will allow you to know how a gunsmith would
adjust it.

The trigger mechanism on the Winchester Model 70 is remarkably simple. Remove the barreled acton of a Model 70 from
it's stock and you can see just how simple it is. You will see a trigger that pivots on a pin. Look at the rear portion of the trigger
(normally hidden by the stock) and you will see a square head screw (the trigger stop screw), three nuts, and a spring (we'll call it
the trigger return spring).

The purpose of the trigger stop screw is to limit the amount of over travel of the trigger. It is possible to screw the trigger stop
screw in far enough that you will not be able to pull the trigger enough to release the sear. Ideally the trigger stop screw should
be screwed in as far as it can and still have enough trigger movement to reliably release the sear. This will allow for the greatest
amount of adjustment of the trigger spring tension.

Tension on the trigger return spring determines a majority of the trigger pull weight (the rest of the trigger pull weight comes
from the friction between the trigger and the sear). The spring surrounds the trigger stop screw, both can be seen just behind
the trigger. The trigger stop screw is held in place by a pair of captive nuts, one on each side of the part of the trigger the stop
screw passes through. A third nut sets the tension on the trigger spring. Tightening this third nut (turning it clockwise) against the
trigger spring will increase the trigger pull. And turning it counter clockwise will decrease the trigger pull weight.

After making any adjustments, be absolutely sure to test for an excessively light trigger. To do this, screw the barreled action
back in the stock. With the bolt cocked, in the closed position on an empty chamber, and the safety off, butt down the rifle. That
is hold the rifle barrel pointing upward, let the butt bounce on the ground. It should take a considerable bump to cause the firing pin
to drop (on the empty chamber).

On a friend's pre-64 Model 70 trigger, the spring had to be changed because enough of the trigger spring pretension could not
be removed to get an acceptable trigger pull weight. Yet on another (on one of those new classic actions), it was possible to
remove ALL of the trigger spring pretension. This is a dangerous situation because only the trigger to sear tension keeps the
cocked rifle from firing.

Well I hope you now have a better understanding of how a Model 70 trigger works. Of course for all trigger pull weight
adjustments you should take your rifle to a reputable gunsmith.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
quote:

Regards.
Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Jim nailed it on the head.....you've simply increased the engagement of the cocking piece to the sear and a series of adjustments of that relationship, along with smoothing and polishing up the working surfaces will be in order to ensure a safe trigger.

To put it simply......Take it to a good smith.

I would reccomend Mark Penrod. He most certainly knows what he's doing on the M70 trigger. Avoid the "Sure I can fix it" hacks....go to someone who truely knows.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote