THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest bore available for a Pump rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pump rifles are still not in use in Germany. You only can find pump shotguns. So my question, which company has pump rifles, and which is the biggest bore available?
My interesst is for a pump in 9,3x62 or maybe 64. The 35 Wheelen is hard to find here.

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Burkhardt,
Browning made pump action rifles for a while but my impression is that they have discontinued them. The only maker that I am currently aware of is Remington. Frankly, it's the only thing they make that I like and I like it! The biggest caliber it comes in is the .35 Whelen but rebarreling it to 9.3x62 would be a snap. Given the bigger diameter of the 64mm case, I would get a good gunsmith's opinion on that but what is there in Europe that you need anything bigger than a 62 for? Wisent?

BTW, you can buy 10 round magazines from Cabela's. If they won't ship to Germany, have it sent to me and I'll mail you some "trade samples: value $0.00". It wouldn't be the first time I've helped the other side of the pond!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a Lefty, I was waiting on the Browning Pump when it first came out. Man is it fast! I had the same idea as you. I believe it is the Zeglin fellow at Zhat that is making quite a few big bores that will fit this setup. Also, there was a poster on this or the African Hunting Forum two or three years ago who had reworked the Browning Pump Rifle(BPR) into a .411 Hawk. Since the rotary bolt locks into the rear of the barrel. He somply removed the barrel, and cut it off just ahead of the chamber, then he reshaped this stub of a chamber into a male threaded piece, and mated it to a custom female threaded barrel in .416. All he had to do next was chamber this "combo barrel", and reinstall it.

I believe his starting caliber was .270 like mine.

Overall I really like the BPR, it is VERY fast, accurate to 1.25 MOA in my not so great hands, and that's with factory Federal Premium ammo w/150 gr Partition. It can be carried silently through the woods if you keep the barrel either level or pointed up. The Remington Pump was VERY noisy as the operating levers from the pump grip to the bolt are very loose and sloppy fitted. However, it too shoots well.

If you're interested, I may be talked out of my Browning Pump. Just drop me an email.

Safe Hunting
Clint

<eldeguello>
posted
My impression of the BPR is that it is the same gun as the BAR in all respects except for substituting manual operation via the pump for the gas system of the BAR. I know of several BAR .338's that were converted to .458 Winchester and they worked OK. I suppose a BPR could be similarly converted. Now, that would be a big bore pump!

In addition, when used with the new sabot-type ammo, a rifled pump shotgun becomes a big-bore rifle in the same class as a .45/70 or .50/90!

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Remington just made a special run of 7600's in 35Whelen, which is the biggest factory job. It's available through Grice's in Pennsylvania (sp). Certainly plenty big for anything in the Teutonic woods!

I have one, and it is quick and 1.5 moa accurate (3x scope). I prefer it over the BPR. Then again, I prefer the BLR 358 over both of them.

Ammo may be harder to find, but that's just a reason to buy a couple of cases to put in the basement. Since the Whelen is based on the '06 case, it will never be obsolete if there are any hand loaders around. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote