New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold rings on Redfield bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are these compatible? They look like they are. I bought a rifle with Redfield bases and rings, the rings are crap. I need a new set and am exploring the options.

Thanks.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMiller:
Are these compatible? They look like they are. I bought a rifle with Redfield bases and rings, the rings are crap. I need a new set and am exploring the options.

Thanks.

Yes. Wink

Posts: 2358 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I believe the Burris rings will fit as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they made at the same factory and packaged under different names? I guess when you get a system that works, why change it.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMiller:
Are they made at the same factory and packaged under different names? I guess when you get a system that works, why change it.

Thanks.
No, each manufacturer's rings are made in different factories. However, the patent on the Redfield dovetail mounting system expired many years ago, allowing competitors to produce the same mounts. The conventional Redfield-type rings are available from Burris, Leupold, Millett, and of course Redfield. There may be some others making them, also. There are a number of variations in the cap style, with some having a single larger screw per side, some with two screws per side, some with screws accesible from underneath (almost impossible to mount!), some with scolloped cap edges, etc.

I think that most of the manufacturers actually sub-out the rings. Some of the QC has been poor at times, allegedly with some batches of Burris, while others have cited some Milletts as being problematic. It usually involves a soft batch of steel or soft screws. I haven't personally had any problems with any of the brands, but I've never heard any complaints on Leupolds or Redfields.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending upon how old the Redfield base is and which rings you find they may not be compatible. The screws that hold the rear ring on have been made in different diameters and some will not interchange with some rings.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .429:
Depending upon how old the Redfield base is and which rings you find they may not be compatible. The screws that hold the rear ring on have been made in different diameters and some will not interchange with some rings.

Correct. Some of the older bases have rear screws too big in diameter to fit the recesses in more modern rear rings. Not too much trouble to turn them down if you have a lathe (or even an electric drill or screwdriver, but will need to be cold-blued or otherwise refinished afterward and still may not be pretty. Can save a hunt, though.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rings seem to be warped or something, the scope will not seat in them. Almost like trying to put a 30mm tube into 1" rings. Half the ring works, but not the mating half.

one of us
posted Hide Post
N,

Doesn't sound to me like an issue with the (apperntly compatable, Redfield, Leupold or Burris) Rings & Mounts but rather with the Rings & the Scope.

Which Make, Model & Size Scope are you attempting to fit into these rings?

Hopefully you're not trying to seat a European 26mm scope or one of the oddball 28mm tubed American Scopes in American 1" (25.4mm) Rings? The dilema you are describing sounds, well, sorta sounds like what you are describing.

If it's a 26mm diameter Scope it will appear to seat in the bottom half of the Ring but the top half will not fit over the tube and the screw holes will not align. A 28mm will just sit on top of the bottom half of the rings and pout - no way to even contemplate a fit.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a Leupold VX-II, the rings say 1" on the box, if that is correct they should work.

Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
N,

Cool!

Confused

Sounds like all the Bits & Pieces should match up?

The only coupla options I can recommend are:

1. Measure the inside of the Rings (when mated together) and the tube, just to be sure.

2. Purchase another set of 12 rings?

I can imagine that you've mounted a scope before? (Excuse the Idiot question).

Occaisionally the rings have to be "spread" apart to get them over the scope tube. I cover an area in front and behind the turret housing with electrical tape and them "splay" the top half of the rings apart to assist the ring in "popping" over the tube. Once over this hurdle they are pretty free to move back & forth without marring the scope.

Sorry N, I'm all outa anymore tricks to pull outa my Bag.

Good Luck

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote