THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Using lead shot to add weight: Optimum size? Density at optimum size?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using lead shot to add weight: Optimum size? Density at optimum size?
 Login/Join

<JJohnston>
posted
Has anyone ever figured out what the best shot size is for getting the most weight in the least volume? Assume you're adding weight to a stock, so you can't just pour molten lead into a cavity.

Does anyone know the density using the optimum shot size (like, say, on an ounce-per-cubic-inch basis)?

Finally, let's say your typical bolt action balanced about where the barrel meets the receiver. If you wanted to maintain the balance, and could add weight at only 1 spot, you'd want to add it right at that balance point, correct? You can't, though, because that's right where the recoil lug is. So, is it feasible to add weight just forward of the recoil lug, by routing out a channel in the forend? About how big a channel would you need, to add 1 lb. (depends on the density from question #2)? Make the channel about an inch wide and half an inch deep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The smaller shot would obviously have a higher per/cu" density. Soooo... shot #12?, I have used 7 1/2 and 8 but thats only because thats what I had on hand.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Use no. 12 shot and mix it with epoxy to make it a permanent installation. Pour the shot into the voids milled into the forend and butt to find the proper amount then either mix with the epoxy or pour the shot in then cap off with the epoxy. The forend should be mixed so as to keep the forend stiffer.
You can set the balance point anywhere with this method.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Undercut the recess and pack lead wool in it....no epoxy means a LOT easier to take some out if needed......and it always is.

I use electrical tape and tire weights to figure out where and how much to add. grind the steel clips off and stick 'em in a piece of plastic tubing to keep from marring up the stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You would need an awfully big hole in the fore end to get a pound of weight in it. I base that on the fact that I put all the #8's I could in a shotgun stock and gained a half pound. I packed it tight, shook it several times to get it to settle, then put tissue paper in the end to keep it from rattling against the recoil pad. Simple but effective.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I recently used a mercury reducer and liked it more than lead, but was a lot more $$. So like everything else it's all in what you want to spend your money on.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJohnston:
Has anyone ever figured out what the best shot size is for getting the most weight in the least volume? Assume you're adding weight to a stock, so you can't just pour molten lead into a cavity.

Does anyone know the density using the optimum shot size (like, say, on an ounce-per-cubic-inch basis)?

Finally, let's say your typical bolt action balanced about where the barrel meets the receiver. If you wanted to maintain the balance, and could add weight at only 1 spot, you'd want to add it right at that balance point, correct? You can't, though, because that's right where the recoil lug is. So, is it feasible to add weight just forward of the recoil lug, by routing out a channel in the forend? About how big a channel would you need, to add 1 lb. (depends on the density from question #2)? Make the channel about an inch wide and half an inch deep.

#9.5 & steel bed works for me [Razz]

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote