New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tapping a fixed double for screw-in chokes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got it back yesterday. Quick turnaround. The Choke tubes he used are thin wall "Colonial Arms" brand. Never heard of them. They are designed to be installed and removed with a quarter, no tool needed. I asked for an IC, a Mod, and a Full tube and got a Skeet 1 instead of the IC, I dunno how close they are. There are some tooling marks on the muzzle between the barrels as if he ran the tap just a hair too hard against it. Easy enough to polish out tho. All-in-All, I wouldn't send a high end gun to him but it was just the ticket (and the price) for this ol Rossi coach gun. When the rain stops coming down I'll pattern it and let you guys know how it shoots.

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Got it back yesterday. Quick turnaround. The Choke tubes he used are thin wall "Colonial Arms" brand. Never heard of them. They are designed to be installed and removed with a quarter, no tool needed. I asked for an IC, a Mod, and a Full tube and got a Skeet 1 instead of the IC, I dunno how close they are. There are some tooling marks on the muzzle between the barrels as if he ran the tap just a hair too hard against it. Easy enough to polish out tho. All-in-All, I wouldn't send a high end gun to him but it was just the ticket (and the price) for this ol Rossi coach gun. When the rain stops coming down I'll pattern it and let you guys know how it shoots.

Ian

Ian,

I've only sent single barrels to him so I never would have seen anything on the rib between the barrels. Sorry about the screw-ups :-(

The Skeet 1 is basicly a cylinder (no) choke. Pretty good for slugs I'd be lost with out an IC choke. I mostly use IC for Trap, Skeet and Grouse. For (Pheasent) hunting it's IC and full.

It's my understanding that both Colonial Arms and Carlson's are owned by the same company. Carlson's calls this type of choke threading "Tru-Choke" if you need another (like IC?) choke. A lot of the mail order companys stock Carlson's as does G.I.Joes and Wal-Mart.

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to be sorry, I'm satisfied with what I got. I paid for a no frills job and got just that. If I had paid the 3-400 that I was hearing I would have been royally PO'd for the lack of attention to detail but for the $125 I paid it's just fine. If anyone has an old favorite single shot that they wanted to be more versatile (like I do), I'd have no problem sending it to him. Now would I send a Browning? Nope, that would get the $300 dollar job.
I patterned it yesterday and it seems to shoot a little high and to the left but it did that before so that tells me that the pilots he uses do a good job of keeping the tubes inline with the bore.

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote