New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inletting dye or ink?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm working on a Fajen semi-inletted, and need to get the bottom metal down about another 1/8" and cant find out what is stopping it.

Is there some kind of dye I can put on the bottom metal to see where its sticking?

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crazyquik - Yes, coating the metal with "inletting black" is standard procedure when inletting a stock. Many things can be used in a pinch, however. I have even used one of my wife's lipsticks! Brownell's carries Jerrow's Inletting Black (and Gold).

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Black magic marker works ok.
Permatex, Inc. makes "Prussian Blue" for that purpose. You can often find it at NAPA or another well stocked auto parts or industrial supply store. Brownells carries it also (#100-001-581, $2.86 retail).
Brownells also carries Inletting Black, and Inletting Gold for $7.40 and $12.05 respectively. Black for light stock, gold for dark ones.
I still have half of a tube of black "Tints-All" that I bought in 1982 at an art supply store in Austin, TX. I thought the name was "Tits-All", and had high hopes for the product. It didn't help in that regard, but it has done a decent job as a stock inletting black over the years.
JCN
Of course, I'm from the "hog it out now and fill it up with Marine-Tex later" school of stock inletting.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I was discussing this very thing with Ray Price a few years back. I always had trouble with the grease based inletting black. I either had it gooped on or wiped so thinly it wouldn't show up at all.

Ray was a pattern maker for years and turned into a hell of a good stockmaker. He suggested a smoke pot. With it you can put on a very thin, uniform layer of the black. I already had the smoke pot that I had used for smoke pulls for engraving transfers. I made mine out of an alcohol lamp filled with paint thinner.

Give it a try. It has worked well for me over the years.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote