New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage 99 takedown
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife was given a 99 savage takedown.about a 1920 model.The barrel threads are loose.I,ve been told to jb weld them.silver solder.weld? What is the proper way to fix this problem? It would be nice if it was still a take down.but because of sentimental value the rifle needs to be used again. thanks

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These rifles had no provision to take up wear...the threads can be "moved". Not rocket science, but needs careful application.

Sorry I can' take this on.... and quit recommending restaurants and gunsmiths long ago.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go over to the Savage Collectors forum on the 24 Hour Campfire. There you'll find a sticky telling you how the peening of the threads is done to take up slop. Not difficult to do at all. No need to epoxy or solder it. Who would want a takedown that can't be taken down?

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote