THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory Varmint Rig, or Put one Together?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Guys,

I was planning to build a switch barrel rifle with a varmint contour to it, for several longer action cartridges.. so a short action won't do..

I have several Ruger 77 Mk 2's as a candidate for this..

however, I was looking for experience on the forum here, before I decided my route to take..

First thought was to pick up a Hogue Rubber Stock for the Long action Ruger and then do a Timney trigger on it.. and/OR do a Laminate Stock for it also...

The second option was to just trade in one of my long action Rugers and just pick up a 77 VT in a long action 25/06...

With doing the factory option, I'd just get the heavy laminate stock and Ruger's varmint trigger ready to go..

or is it better to go with the Timney and After market stock on what I have already?

( the 25/06 is not a chambering I'd be interested in, so that barrel would be taken off..) the rifle will be chambered in barrels in 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts and 6.5 x 57...

thanks
seafire

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think you will find a little frustration in setting up a standard mkII action for a varmint rig, most smiths are tooled for the rem 700 for that kind of work.

As for the VT, you will find them pretty good to go out of the box. Triggers are very good and I don't see the need to go to a aftermarket unless you go under 1 lb. The laminate stock is pretty stable, but comes w/o any bedding stabilizer (i.e bedding block or glass bed) most still shoot fairly well. I usually like the lam stocks over the synthetic as they are easier to work on and feel a little nicer in the hands, but good synthetics can be had for the 77 mkII.

6mm rem, 6.5x57 and 257 roberts can be ran in the short action, long actions may need some magazine re-work to get them to feed correctly.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote